Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Brakes

Changing front brake pads 90 Loyale, I turned forever and the piston didn't ever seem to allow enough room for the new pads (the old ones on one side were completely worn while there was half the meat left on the other side)and then I realized that the piston was no longer threaded in place but was wobbling around?? So I pressed in while turning and it got back on the threads and I was able to get the piston in. In the process, I pinched and tore the rubber boot around the caliper piston. Is this just a dust boot? I noticed a small leakof fluid through the tear when the piston was wobbling around and hope that some fluid was getting past the seal at that point and once the piston was repositioned, that would be the end of the leak. Is it necessary to replace the boot?

The other consideration is that this was the same side with excessive wear on the pads and should I assume that the piston was hanging up (due to leaking seal?) and therefore should consider replacing the caliper?

the rx had a piston hang up, but a quick tap with a hammer got it to thread in. my gl-10 wagon was the same way.

the boot on the rx was pretty much gone. no leaks.

you should be alright to go ahead and put it all together, just keep it in mind and consider a replacement before too long.

at least you can drive your ride while looking for new parts, rather than waiting on new parts to drive it