Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom intake manifold

The last one I made is steel and has a Q-jet 4 barrel on it.

Even though Pontiac sucessfully used a Quadrajet on their 6 cylinder engine back in the 1960's, isn't it a little large for a 1800cc engine? What was your throttle response like? What was your fuel mileage like compared to stock? Do you have any photos?

Even though Pontiac sucessfully used a Quadrajet on their 6 cylinder engine back in the 1960's, isn't it a little large for a 1800cc engine? What was your throttle response like? What was your fuel mileage like compared to stock? Do you have any photos?

Its all about performance! I blocked off the secondary part of the carb, so now its just a 2 barrel. I new it wouldn't take long for someone to say it was to big for a 1800! I really like the way a Qjet works for rough / off camber use! And there are so many different jets and primary needles avalible! Also I have no water running threw the intake into the heads stealing what little power the 1800 can put out. cold air / fuel = HP !! The throttle response is awesome , But thats not just from the Qjet, I took a huge amount of aluminum out of the ports in the heads. that is also a reason for a custom intake. Im running dual 2" pipes under her and she barks like she really has a bite. I will go out and take some pics . PS How do you put more then on pic on here?

I'd never even considered using a Quadrajet on a Subaru before. Now you've got me to thinking.........

In my opinion, Quadrajets are probably the finest engineered carburetor ever made AND they are so easy to work on and fine tune. It's amazing the range in size of engines they work well on. There are so many jets, metering rods, metering rod hangers, and metering rod springs to choose from it can be mind boggling. There were probably more Q-jets manufactured than any other carburetor so they are easy to come by.

I'd never even considered using a Quadrajet on a Subaru before. Now you've got me to thinking.........

In my opinion, Quadrajets are probably the finest engineered carburetor ever made AND they are so easy to work on and fine tune. It's amazing the range in size of engines they work well on. There are so many jets, metering rods, metering rod hangers, and metering rod springs to choose from it can be mind boggling. There were probably more Q-jets manufactured than any other carburetor so they are easy to come by.

Yes, they are great for a fabricator. I have put them on almost anything that runs on gas!!!

Instead of using just the primaries, wouldn't it be better to use one side of the carb and block off the other side? That would still utilize the air valve secondary and it wouldn't be difficult to do.

No way to block off the fuel to the other side of the carb, Gas would leak and then a (CATASTROPHIC ) event would happen.

No way to block off the fuel to the other side of the carb, Gas would leak and then a (CATASTROPHIC ) event would happen.

Couldn't you build your intake manifold so only one side of the carburetor is exposed to vacuum, remove the metering rods, plug the jets, and plug the accelerator pump jet on the decomissioned side? It seems to me it would work great!