Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo install...

Okay I've searched the board, read the posts and decided to jump right in and see what happened. i pulled out the ancient POS stereo in "brownie" (my 86 GL) and replaced the 4" door speakers in the front that were so old they evaporated when I touched them. I am stringing new 16 guage twisted pair to the front speakers with quick connects to the new head unit and have managed to tie up and prune back the old wire harness that the previous installers had left entombed behind the carcass of the old tape deck. :banghead:

So here is the dilemna...the red and yellow wires coming into the fused box (supposedly constant and ignition power) are being fed from a blue/yellow and a green wire. I can't find blue/yellow in any of the wiring diagrams and am thinking that it is more of the chop job install that took place on the old stereo. The reason I am asking is that the old stereo only turn on AFTER the brake was applied (then it would stay on). I am about to reconnect the wires and thought I'd post and see if anyone had any wisdom to share. It would be cool if I could remedy that little "feature". I'm moving ahead tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know what I find.

Kevin

Run two new power wires from your fusebox; use a 12volt testlight. You can buy the fuse adaptors at any autoparts store that will allow you hook up your two new power leads to your stereo. One of your power leads will be constant power for your stereo memory; the other new lead will be on ignition or accessory. Use the 12 volt testlight (available at autoparts store) to find the fuse that's constant power and the one that's on ignition. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm pretty good at hooking up stereos. It's easier to do it this way than trying to trace someone elses mess. Just cap em off.

~Myles~

wow i see i am not the only one who had that problem. i just finished wiring the power for mine. the wires were cut too short but some sweat and and a few colorful four letter words later:banghead: fixed it. :banana: have you ran new speaker wire for the front doors yet? i could use some info on that. i ran out of four letter words yesterday so i stopped for the day.:brow: any help is greatly apprecated. thank you

DANG!!!

Okay...the stereo is in and it is deader than a doornail. I suspect it has something to do with the power. I think I am going to need to completely rerun the wires for the power. Yeah, well I probably should have done it in the first place.

:mad:

Physically getting the deck into the car was the easy part. Taking the door panels off for the speaker wire was trickier. You have to remove the arm rest, the surround on the lock and door handle (CAREFULLY) and then pop a little pin off of the shaft of the window crank. The proceure takes 2 small screwdrivers. Once that little pin is off thecrank is easily removed and the door panel pops right off. From there the wire is routed through the door to the rubber conduit that stretches between the door and the car body (use the old wires to pull the new wires through) and then it routes under two panels at the bottom of the dash. It's pretty straight forward once you get it all apart. I'm going back in so I'll take a few pictures to illustrate.

Physically getting the deck into the car was the easy part. Taking the door panels off for the speaker wire was trickier. You have to remove the arm rest, the surround on the lock and door handle (CAREFULLY) and then pop a little pin off of the shaft of the window crank. The proceure takes 2 small screwdrivers. Once that little pin is off thecrank is easily removed and the door panel pops right off.

Don't old soobs use the same c clip thing that GM and chrysler used for years. I could have sworn I took one apart with my cheapo GM window crank removal tool.

yah, auto parts stores should have that (the window crank thingy) too. i also have power windows :lol: and am glad i dont have to mess with the cranks... im about to install a new stero in my 87 gl 10.. when i get time. lookin forward to it.. i didnt even think twice about re using a single wire. im gonna leave the entire stock stereo wiring intact, and chop nothing. just run new wire in for my shizzle... :- )

actually, you are better off running new speaker wiring...if i recall correctly the stock speakers are on a common ground - which most of your aftermarket stereos do not like.

my car had a hatchet job done on its stereo wiring before i got it so took me about a half a day to get everything sorted out and hooked up correctly, and the speaker wiring was on of the biggest issues.

and a test light is your best freind in these situations.

yah, no, i mean im leaving all the stock stuff there, but replacing it with new wire and using the new stuff... so i can just go back to the old way if i ever have to to get rid of the vehicle...

thats all i meant :rolleyes: i guess i wasnt too clear on that, my bad.