Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Black box under pass side rear ????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

When i was under the car today looking for the diff vent and trying to stop my stupid heat shield rattle, I saw a black box in the very back pass side under the car. After inspection I noticed all the rubber hoses are starting to dry out and crack. What is this box, logic tells me that it would be something to do with the fuel system. I couldn't tell where the hoses ran to, so I am not clear on what the hell this thing is. 2nd, should I replace these hoses, any special procedures??

#2 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

The black box with all the rubber hoses is usually part of the evaporative emissions system. It stores the fuel vapors to be burned off later, instead of allowing them to escape into the environment. It is the same as the "charcoal canister," I think.

I don't think you need to worry about it unless you get a check engine light, but if you want to keep the car in perfect shape, go ahead and replace them.

matt

#3 Spacinjason

Spacinjason

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Southern Oregon

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

You may get a check engine light if any of the hoses leak. I had that problem on my last truck (Dodge Dakota). Truck still ran fine, the CEL just annoyed me! Sometimes if they are just cracked or frayed around the edges, you can just cut a little off the ends of the hoses and reattach. Hope this helps you!
Spacinjason
'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

#4 cannonball

cannonball

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Greenville

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

Any idea what kind of code that would pull up?

#5 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

The codes would be related to the evaporative emissions system (EVAP).

I am not sure of all the code numbers that could be related. Maybe I can do some research on it.

matt

#6 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

p044X like P0442 when the gas cap is loose

#7 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Ferret is on target, I looked up the codes last night.

matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users