Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone built there own lockers ???

NOT a locker. That's the same design as the Phantom Grip LSD units (which are overpriced IMO).

Here's someone installing an R200 version. (They sell R160's too).

http://z31.com/phantomgrip.shtml

It's cool that you made your own, but you can't go calling it a "locker". It's an LSD, and it WILL slip given enough torque.

That said, I would love to put one in the front and rear diff of my street Brat. And the front of my wagon. I'll keep my welded rear diff for off-road tho.

GD

NOT a locker. That's the same design as the Phantom Grip LSD units (which are overpriced IMO).

Here's someone installing an R200 version. (They sell R160's too).

http://z31.com/phantomgrip.shtml

It's cool that you made your own, but you can't go calling it a "locker". It's an LSD, and it WILL slip given enough torque.

That said, I would love to put one in the front and rear diff of my street Brat. And the front of my wagon. I'll keep my welded rear diff for off-road tho.

GD

It spins both tires in the mud so I guess that would suggest that they are locked up. also I did not want to throw there name out there , some people get ***************y win you make something like theres. (If you know what I mean)

Yes - I have no doubt it would spin both tires in low torque situations (I think I said that :rolleyes:) *cough - mud*. I refered to high torque situations - such as crawling up a rock face at low speeds. If one tire is in the air, and the other against a large rock, this device would not function as a locker. A welded or spooled diff is actually even cheaper, and yet more effective.

It's still cool - no doubt about that. Like I said I wouldn't mind one for my front diff on my lifted rig, or definately on my street Brat.

And as for copying the phantom grip - they can't say anything unless you attempt to sell it. If you give them away for free they can't say anything either.

GD

Yes - I have no doubt it would spin both tires in low torque situations (I think I said that :rolleyes:) *cough - mud*. I refered to high torque situations - such as crawling up a rock face at low speeds. If one tire is in the air, and the other against a large rock, this device would not function as a locker. A welded or spooled diff is actually even cheaper, and yet more effective.

It's still cool - no doubt about that. Like I said I wouldn't mind one for my front diff on my lifted rig, or definately on my street Brat.

And as for copying the phantom grip - they can't say anything unless you attempt to sell it. If you give them away for free they can't say anything either.

GD

Your write need some sort of real locker please find one and tell all of us when you do Thanks

Simple - Lincoln locker. I run one. Works fabulous.....

ARB makes one for the R200 (used in the STi, and many, many Nissan and datsun Z car application) - with a divorced t-case this shouldn't be real difficult for you to fab up using cheap adaptors from rockford CV.

Another option that apparently goes into the R160 without much modifiction (a bit if machineing I'm told) is the VW vanagon syncro air locker - I've found a source, but it's in Bend, OR and a bit expensive. If you can catch one in a junk yard tho it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The early Audi cars (Pre-5000 series from what I understand) had electrically motivated lockers in the diffs of the quattro package). They also had a 3.89:1 ratio availble. Again - rockford CV might be able to help us adapt this diff to work with our axles.

There are others as well - but those are the ones I've found that are promising. Sadly I lack the funds for R&D into this subject at this time. That will not be the case forever I hope.....

GD