Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1979 brat goes through right cv axles like every two to three months what am I doing wrong can someone help me please????
Are they lifetime warranty ones? If they aren't go buy LT ones so you don't have to pay for new ones everytime.

Do you consistently park with your tires cocked to one side or another or do you do a lot of sharp turning? That can really tear up the boots and the joints.

Might be the steering turn stop is missing or broken on one side, or both letting the wheel turn too far for the CV. I think my 79 wagon had a broken stop and i had to be careful with hyper extending the cv's.:dead:

As i recall, the steering would kind of "flop and lock" when going past where the stop would normally be. If your steering tends to lock when turning all the way one way or the other, that's probably the cause of your CV failures.

Wayne

Check the "spider" or steering knuckle below where the strut is attached. There should be a part of the casting that projects out that acts as a stop to limit the range of steering. You can usually tell where the rust is worn off from contact with the hub plate. Can't remember exactly what a gen1 stop looks like, but i seem to recall that it was rather fragile.

You could just check to see if the front wheels angle-out equally when the steering wheel locks in both directions. If the wheels angle-out more sharply with the steering wheel turned all the way right, maybe the right stop is broken off or bent. Or vice a versa.

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The inner right boot is prone to pre-mature failure, from heat off the exhaust. I added a heat shield and it seems to have helped. Severe lock to lock turning will tear outside joints too. I limit "lock over" steering in my gen 1s.

Todd