Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removal of A/C, belt question.

The A/C on my 6 is shot... not sure I want to bother fixing it since it appears to be held together with duct tape. That, and it's not my daily driver, so that's a lot of money for not a lot of bang.

I'd like to remove as much of the A/C system as possible, and certainly the easiest thing to get rid of is the compressor. Without this, obviously, I will need a shorter belt.

Has anyone done this? If so, which belt is the correct replacement?

Jeffast is currently running with out A/C on his 6. He'd know more about what to do.

You can remove the A/C condensor, hoses, compressor, probably other things to. Just before you do, have a shop recover any R12 left in it. If you vent it to the atmosphere you will make me angry.

you can remove the compressor, condensor, and the hoses you will save about 40 or so lbs by doing so. the condenser is mounted to the radiator it is easy to remove the two bolts in plain site hold it on. unfortunatly it has to come out the back so you have to pull the radiator give me a second i'll post the good year number for the belt i'm using

EDIT: to dark outside i'll post the number tommorow because i'm lazy

Jeffast is currently running with out A/C on his 6. He'd know more about what to do.

You can remove the A/C condensor, hoses, compressor, probably other things to. Just before you do, have a shop recover any R12 left in it. If you vent it to the atmosphere you will make me angry.

One of the fiddly bits that looks like it's for charging/discharging the system is currently held together by duct tape (the way I got it). I'll have Smart Service check when the car's down there, but I'm 99% certain the previous owner already vented it.

Just depress the check ball on the pressure side of the compressor a tiny bit - you'll know real quick if anything is in there.

Me - I just vent that crap (yeah - I'm no bunny hugger - sue me), and fill with R134. Make sure you replace ALL the o-rings tho.

GD

Vent if you must, just don't expose yourself to the R12. Can cause heart problems, nervous system issues, etc.

It's only harmful if you breath the burnt vapor - at least that's how I understand it.

Since R12 is not flammable, this is moot.

The vapor can cause harmful effects. Most of them short term. Sure, 9 times out of 10 you won't experience any problems, but do you wanna take that chance?

Plus, most shops capable of reclaiming R-12 will do it for free... If you're lucky, they'll pay you to take it (because its so valuable in the US).

So, do the environment something good, and have a shop reclaim it. That is, unless of course, you care about future generations being able to enjoy this planet.

Of course, I'm just :horse: and you all will continue doing whatever it is you do when you discharge an A/C system.

Since R12 is not flammable, this is moot.

So, do the environment something good, and have a shop reclaim it. That is, unless of course, you care about future generations being able to enjoy this planet.

quote]

It's NOT about the enviroment but about MONEY! Follow the money trail. It's about Dupont and their profits.

Everything is flammable if you get it hot enough.

GD

Not true. It is only flammable if heat causes it to react with O2. R12 will react with O3, but not O2. I'd like to see you catch an ice cube on fire.

Anyways, we should quit hijacking the thread...