Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snorkel Project!!!!!!!!!

fnlyfnd

Well I cut the hole today :-\ . It didn't come out as clean as I had hoped for. My plan is to tape off a 1/2" brder around the hole and paint it: Cheap wallyworld rubberized black undercoating, or the Outback silver??

I am not really sure which one. I am a very bad spray painter so I am leaning towards the rubberized black but I hear bad stuff about the cheap crap. This will also cover up some mishaps I had in the process. I am going to paint the inside of the fender around the hole with some rustcheck/rustoleum stuff.

Any suggestions.

Also what should I use for the pvc. I want something that wont be brittle in the winter 0deg months

841919_49_full.jpg

841919_50_full.jpg

:headbang: :headbang:

is it possible to relocate the intake to where the hole is closer to the a pillar?Just a tube from airbox to up near the windshield then punch through fender?I dunno it just kinda looks weird when theres alot of length before the a pillar.still looks sweet.paint the grey with white so it matches then the 3/8 fuel tubing arounf the hole to give it a professional touch.

the rubber hose wont work unless I make the hole bigger (which I am not doing). It does look good though, and kodos for a great suggestion.

I'll post pics in a little bit of the snorkel completed but not painted. I still have to get a Donaldson Top Spin pre-cleaner that is going to go on the top.

I am thinking of getting some skateboard grip tape and taping off a border around the hole. See the thing is I am a very bad painter, and w/o a garage I am going to have overspray everywhere. I have tried to paint other cars in the past and it has tought me a valuable lesson: DONT PAINT

Any suggestions.

Also what should I use for the pvc. I want something that wont be brittle in the winter 0deg months

easy, dont use pvc, use ABS, its a lot stronger and way more durable. simple test, take a piece of sch40 pcv and a peice of abs the same size, and hit them both with a hammer, the pvc will shatter and it wont do anything to the abs.

anyways, its looking really good... make sure you post pics for when you're finished :banana:

I was planning on using just one pipe and bending it for all the bends.....well here is a pic of the piipe just trying to get the pipe at 90deg. Yea the entire 7' pipe was filled with sand.

841919_56_full.jpg

cool... when you're done maybe take some bondo and smooth it out before you paint it

Well that pipe went to the disposal. I am sticking with the setup with the elbows. That took about an hour to bend like that with a heat gun in the blazing sun. That was a "just use elbows picture."

The sand was supposed to prevent kinks

Try applying more heat to the outside of the bend, rather than the inside?

Stretch the plastic rather than shrink it?

I'm making this up as I type....

But it seems logical!

Yea I tried this, but the pipe gets really soft when it gets that hot. Its tough and, I was kinda impatient knowing that there was a way easier way to do it in a bag, on the ground, next to me.

how'd you do the hook up at the air box?

and what did you use to do the cutting of the hole?

I just stuck it in the air box....I am going to seal it once i have it completed. I used a drill, drillign a bunch of holes in a circle. My suggestion, buy a good hole saw. I did this but I didn't have a good drill to complement it.