Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cold Air Intake????????

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pntball&wheelin

pntball&wheelin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

I just purchased a 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD. It has a 2.2 ltr motor, automatic. I am trying to find a cold air intake. If anyone out there knows of a company that makes one, then please email me at

mtrmouth24@yahoo.com

Thanks
Andy

#2 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

You can find them all over ebay. Be warned however, unless you're going to do some extra work to get the air filter out of the engine bay, it's not worth your time, effort, or money to get a "CAI."

#3 Subaru_for_LIfe

Subaru_for_LIfe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • South Florida

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

Cold Air Intake? Is it one of those that has a cone filter under the hood, next to the engine? How is it cold air, when all it does is, suck that hot air inside the engine bay?

#4 BajaGuy68

BajaGuy68

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Western New York

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:40 AM

Cold Air Intake? Is it one of those that has a cone filter under the hood, next to the engine? How is it cold air, when all
it does is, suck that hot air inside the engine bay?

On my 06' Baja I installed an AEM cold air intake, but the filter is inside the wheel well inclosure(so it sucks in colder air than inside the engine compartment) and I love it! It uses AEM's dry flow filter so you don't have to worry about fowling up the Mass. sensor with oil. The Impreza CAI intake works on the Baja as well. Hope this helps .

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

I just purchased a 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD. It has a 2.2 ltr motor, automatic. I am trying to find a cold air intake. If anyone out there knows of a company that makes one, then please email me at

mtrmouth24@yahoo.com

Thanks
Andy

check the reviews at http://www.subarurev...c293a75b5226cc2

and check the For Sale section at www.nasioc.com for used ones, etc.

should be easy to find one - be careful with over-oiling the filter.

Carl

#6 pntball&wheelin

pntball&wheelin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Carl I will check out those links. I have been checking Ebay and nothing listed for the 92 Legacy non turbo 2.2
Only thing listed is an adaptor plate to use a cone filter. I was hoping for something that will also dress up the engine bay a little.

andy

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,633 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:54 PM

On my 06' Baja I installed an AEM cold air intake, but the filter is inside the wheel well inclosure(so it sucks in colder air than inside the engine compartment) and I love it! It uses AEM's dry flow filter so you don't have to worry about fowling up the Mass. sensor with oil. The Impreza CAI intake works on the Baja as well. Hope this helps .

er um .... new gen subarus already have a cold air intake, thats why it takes air in from the right fender well. Cars have been doing this to some degree since obdII started.

You have a link for this airfilter, would like to take a look at it.

as far as the begining of the thread, if you have a fender air intake, you already have a cold air system.

nipper

#8 pntball&wheelin

pntball&wheelin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hey Nipper,

I know that the car draws air from the fender well and is considered by the factory to be a cold air intake system. I am looking for the chrome/ polished pipe setup to run a cone filter for better airflow, and sound. There doesn't seem to be any complete setup for the 92 legacy 2.2 non turbo. As for the ebay setup here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

The only thing I can find is Spectre piece together parts listed at their site. It is called the power adder. here is the link to their site.

http://www.powerflow...re-products.asp

Any more info????
Thanks
Andy

#9 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Have fun. Cone filters are worthless if you're not going to plumb it into the fender. If you don't, you'll just be sucking in warm air, completely nullifying the extra airflow of the cone and straight pipe.

Plus, MAF's sometimes get pissy with the cone's airflow.

#10 pntball&wheelin

pntball&wheelin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the link MANARIUS.

I plan on making a heat shield to keep engine heat away and I will utilize the fender cold air tube that is already in place. I have already mocked up the heat shield and just need to make it. Now I just need the intake to make it all happen.
Andy

#11 BajaGuy68

BajaGuy68

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Western New York

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

er um .... new gen subarus already have a cold air intake, thats why it takes air in from the right fender well. Cars have been doing this to some degree since obdII started.

You have a link for this airfilter, would like to take a look at it.

as far as the begining of the thread, if you have a fender air intake, you already have a cold air system.

nipper

My 06 Baja had a standard air intake from the factory, not a cold air intake. It did not take in air from the wheel well. The factory intake was very restrictive.
The AEM brand cold air intake is fantastic and you can learn more on their website.

#12 offroadsubaruguy

offroadsubaruguy

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • arvada, colorado

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

just rig a snorkel to it :lol: :lol: :lol: just kiding. anything for a 2.5 will work on your 2.2, i am actually using a weapon R intake kit. not the best in the world, but it was cheap, and it works better than the stock intake.....

#13 pntball&wheelin

pntball&wheelin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

I want to say thank you to all who helped with my question. It really helped.

#14 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

you mean something like this-
Posted Image

they have them at www.boxer4racing.com

http://64.71.53.59/motor.htm#Motor Intake also here(same place,more direct link)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users