Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It runs!!! it finally runs!

about 5 hours ago I finished installing a new motor in my brat.in my eagerness to start it the first time I tried to start it I didnt have the starter wires connected.second time I didn't have a vacuum connection plugged and the coolant hose from block to manifold was off.(shoots pretty damn far when you rev to 6 k:lol:

I do have some issues. when it first started I didnt have coolant ,so it smoked grey smoke from said coolant passageway.I need to run the motor with all coolant hoses attached and fluid to see if it still smokes.if the smoking doesnt go away what can I do to fix it?or is it normal for engines that have sat for a while to smoke?I may have gotten grease on exhaust so that could be it...

finally the oil is perfectly clean after rnning instead of milkshake and there are no bubbles in coolant.

Smoking for a while on an engine that has sat for a long time is pretty normal. After a week or so that should just be limited to some visible exhaust when the engine is first started which goes away after the engine has fully warmed up.