Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 outback. The driver-side floor mat has never been adequately held in place by the hook and I'm worried about safety since it tends to walk right under the gas and brake pedals. Dealer said that he wasn't aware of any re-design on the part but don't know if I trust him since I know Subaru had an issue with the 2005 hook (bulletin #12-83-04). Anyone else have this issue with an 02?

My 2002 Forester has a single plastic-post at one corner of the driver's mat, and no spikey things on the bottom of the mat.

This has never worked well (even when new) to hold the mat in place. The mat rotates itself around counter-clockwise, and bunches up against the wheel-well on the left.

The plastic-post wore out after about a year, and would no longer hold the mat in place. So I jury-rigged a large washer and split-pin on the post, to hold the mat in place. But it still rotates as before.

This is a silly design. I hope that Subaru have long since reassigned the individual who designed it.

Do your mats have little spikes on the bottom to dig into the carpet? The early legacies just had the little spikes.
Which, when they get old, break...off....into...little....pieces which I have to clean up :mad:.

They do hold the carpet in pretty well though.

Curiously, this has never been a problem for my 02 OBW LTD, as I have the "little spiky things", the plastic plug on the left back corner ... AND.... another flat black metal hook that fastens into another similar grommetted hole on the back right corner of the floor mat. The mat just does not move. This is a Canadian car, and I'm assuming it came from the factory this way, as I bought it as a dealer demo. Go figure!