Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks GROSSGARY and NIPPER for your quick replys. I just spoke with the dealer again. The $400 includes cam, crank, oil pump seals, the timing belt plus tensioners + 1 additional hour of labor and a few other things I don't remember. He said it's all part of a timing belt "kit". As long as they don't find anything else to charge me for, this seems acceptable.

Thanks GROSSGARY and NIPPER for your quick replys. I just spoke with the dealer again. The $400 includes cam, crank, oil pump seals, the timing belt plus tensioners + 1 additional hour of labor and a few other things I don't remember. He said it's all part of a timing belt "kit". As long as they don't find anything else to charge me for, this seems acceptable.

for dealer prices (waterpump isnt cheap) that sounds more reasonable, for a dealer anyway.... but i still think its high.

nipper

eacatly, if they don't do it , you'l spend 700 somewhere else. and you will do it sooner or later.

I doubt it includes the water pump and yes dealers are always overpriced but considering the alternative, which is me paying for everything, I can't complain too much. Thanks again for all your feedback, this message board is GREAT!!:drunk:

• 3 months later...

Hello all. 1st post, new member. We've got a 98 forester L auto, about 120k miles (phase I EJ25D). I became aware of the HG issues with these 2.5L engines only recently - I don't think mine's developed an HG leak yet. Is there any advantage to repacing it preemptively? I don't have the space or tools to do anything like that myself - how much should I expect to pay (assuming no damage from blown HG)?

Thanks

Hello all. 1st post, new member. We've got a 98 forester L auto, about 120k miles (phase I EJ25D). I became aware of the HG issues with these 2.5L engines only recently - I don't think mine's developed an HG leak yet. Is there any advantage to repacing it preemptively? I don't have the space or tools to do anything like that myself - how much should I expect to pay (assuming no damage from blown HG)?

Thanks

Hi, and Welcome!

I never have had the much talked about HG issue; However, I did price having it done, around 1.5-2k for a quality job. Others may have different opinions, but I see no reason, short of having problems, to have it sone preemptively.True, it could fail tomorrow, and so might a multitude of other crucial parts. I do recomend using the Subaru Conditioner to the coolant, moreover, it has not caused any unwanted side effects on my car.

in general there shouldn't be a need to replace the headgaskets pre-emptively. they typically give you signs and shouldn't leave you stranded, so shouldn't be a huge concern.

of course if you plan on keeping the car for 250,000....300,000 miles or you travel long distances in this vehicle often then it might be worth it to you.

if the motor was already coming out or coming apart for something else - clutch work or major engine work then sure the headgasket might be worth addressing while it's out.

Why are water pumps so expensive. Is there a lot of labor involved? Also, whats the life expentancy of a water pump?

Water pumps will last at the very least the interval of the timing belt change. The waterpumps arent all that pricey, considering they are a bit more complicated to make then waterpumps of old. The labor for the waterpump is the same as a timing belt (hence whay you do them at the same time). The water pump operates off the timing belt.

nipper

Thanks

120K ? Has the timing belt already been done? If not, that might be the best time to consider doing the gaskets. If it has, then you must weigh the risk versus cost. Some folks say less that 20% of those vehicles will have a premature HG failure.There is no 'good' time for HG failure, but some very bad times, like on a long trip outta town with family in the car. Are you prepared to have the vehicle towed to a decent mechanic in a strange town? Depending on where you are, you could be hundreds of miles from a Subaru dealership - and if there is a warranty issue on their work, doubtful the local dealership would honor the it - not sure on that.

Also, I didn't think the Subaru conditioner would help on Phase 1 engines?

Carl

120K ? Has the timing belt already been done? If not, that might be the best time to consider doing the gaskets. If it has, then you must weigh the risk versus cost. Some folks say less that 20% of those vehicles will have a premature HG failure.There is no 'good' time for HG failure, but some very bad times, like on a long trip outta town with family in the car. Are you prepared to have the vehicle towed to a decent mechanic in a strange town? Depending on where you are, you could be hundreds of miles from a Subaru dealership - and if there is a warranty issue on their work, doubtful the local dealership would honor the it - not sure on that.

Also, I didn't think the Subaru conditioner would help on Phase 1 engines?

Carl

it wont. Basically its 10-15% of phase 1 engines are affected. i vote for leave it alone, BUT do regularly change your antifreeze. Also make sure your cooling system is free of air and NEVER let the car overheat. That gauge on the dash is there for a reason. monitor it.

nipper