Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone want this pile in my yard?

i've had it with this ****in hatch i bought from SVXpert..

i get the supposedly (new shortblock) replaced, drive the damn thing to work, go home for lunch and the ****in transmission goes out.. had the pile of **** towed home cause it wouldn't come outa 4th gear. i know i put the clutch in right because it was still workin just fine.. and all the linkage is connected properly.. i checked.

so if anyone wants this POS come and get it.. i'm real tired of ****in with it..

Hey - My Brat does that sometimes..... well all the time actually. Can't get it out of 4th without a fight if the car isn't moving - seems worse when facing uphill too. Had to adjust my driving style to fit it. I take it out of gear before I stop rolling. I just figured it was a quirky transmission. Linkage seems fine in my case as well. I've had to slip the clutch and start the car moving just slightly in 4th to get it out of gear - when it sticks, it's REALLY tight.

Anyway - sounds like the same problem - just a little quirky is all :rolleyes:

Hasn't bothered me yet - I learn to live with stuff like that cause I know I'll blow the tranny one day anyway, and put in a 5 spd.

GD

after it was towed home, i had my wife come out and try to shift it, she moved the shifter, i watched underneath.. everything moves as its supposed to.. just not internally.. its gone i'm afraid..

the other thing is when ya stick it in 4low its goes into nuetral.. nothin works then.. pretty sure its gone..

So even tho the shifter moves it's still in 4th gear? In mine the shifter won't move when it's stuck. Could you have tried too hard to move it and broke the shift fork in the tranny? How much force did you apply when it got stuck in 4th trying to get it out?

On the 4WD lever - there is a neutral position between high and low - it's supposed to do that. Perhaps the 4WD shifter isn't properly adjusted - there's an adjustment for it under the console. And the 4WD Lo indicator light runs off a switch on the lever - NOT off the transmission, so it could still be lighting up, but the lever isn't pulling far enough.

Just some thoughts.

GD

thanks for the suggestions, but when ya shift it it has the "feel" of going into another gear, but is still in 4th.. you can physically feel it shift, just like normal, but the trans stay is 4th..

i'll check the 4low thingy when i get home.. again it "feels" like it shifts but nothin happens..

as far as how hard i was shifting, i was drivin along 55 mph.. see traffic slowing so i clutch, stop, shift into 1st.. start to go when traffic starts and whala, nothin but 4th gear..

it really feels like ya shift normally, but is in 4th.. reverse almost feels like a grind, but it never goes in either..

Wow - that's really bizzare. Never heard or seen anything like that.

Sorry to hear about how bad that car is going, but you know how it is with old cars sometimes - just keep at it, and you'll have a sweet ride. Sounds like it's time for a 5 spd transplant, and an EA81 rebuild.

Don't give up - if I lived out there, I would help you, but I think it's a little far to drive for me :burnout:

GD

you'd have dibs Jules, if i just this damn thing.. i'm still a little too pissed off about the hole thing to make a clear decision as to fix or not to fix...

for all the work, and money i've put into this stupid thing, i coulda bought 3 or 4 non lifted hatch's in better shape...

as far as those seats go, i might pull teh ones in the wagon when i psrt it and put them in the hatch.. but those rs seats are yours for sure..

if your gonna be home thisafternoon i'll give ya a holler.. come get all that stuff outa yur driveway lol

thanks General..

i just swapped that ea81 out this weekend, thats what ticks me off so much. just got a good engine in it, that runs awsome.. then the first time i drive it, the tranny goes.. thats my frustration right there..

this ole wagon i got from Bill Putney, cost me $500 in febuary, i put a clutch in it, and have driven it 17,000 miles since febuary this year.. never had a problem outa it.. its gettin junked this month due to the rust.. but she's got 290k original, only burns 1 quart between changes. so thats a good soob imo.. this hatch is a defferent story..

the tranny Chef_Tim speaks of is not in use anymore, but ran great for the few hundred miles while the turbo brat lived....

the tranny is actually sitting safely on a shelf in my garage... I fear my 82 Brat will be needing it :( someday....

Tony, you can get a dual range tranny fer cheap.

You know what I see here???? An oppourtunity....!! Why??

Now is the time to do the 5 speed dual range swap. I want to do it sometime on mine, so I would be willing to help you out getting everything figured out.

A yard down here in Roanoke offered to put a ea82 wagon on a rack and sell me everything I wanted for the tranny conversion (tranny, clutch, pressure plate, shifters, driveshaft) for $300, and, they would have a guy take everything off while I was there. He told me he would let me take the whole wagon outa there for $400, and do it on my own time, but, heck, $300 for everything needed and all I have to do is figure it all out and put in my hatch.

The reason I am telling you this is because for just a transmission, it is not worth giving up this hatch.

Putting a lift in is no easy chore, and for what you paid for the hatch with the lift, if you had to replace the engine and tranny, you are still not out much.

Come down here and I will give you that 4x4 single range tranny outa that wagon you got the engine from. At least that could get you going for a while.

Don't give up............

(p.s, i could come up there with my trailer if you really wanted out of the project, even as early as the weekend)

Mark

i think i'll dink with it some more.. .. noticed my tranny mounts, well lets say, there is no rubber left in them.. just steel, so the tranny is jumpin around a bit.. just wonderin if that would cause it to bind up internally :confused:

so my next attempt is new tranny mounts, which is going to be a pain in my arse to find.. easy to put in tho..

i checked, $55.98 but heres the kicker. they would take 3weeks to get them here since they are in portland/west coast

i figure if i do have to buy'em from the dealer, i'll have one of ya'll in oregon/washington hit a dealer and get'em for me and fedex'm would be 10 times faster gettin them lol

well i dinked with the hatch, got it outa 4th.. drove it to town and back.. no problems shifting, but ocasionally i had a funky drivetrain vidration, which i think is the tranny mounts.. theres practically no rubber left in them..

so for now i'll cross my fingers and hope the tranny lasts..