Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter not starting

Awhile back my starter stopped working... I have a standard so as long as I park on a hill I am okay. I tried an extreme fix which was to try and start it when the engine was running at really low rpms. this allowed it to start for a while more but alas no longer. I am going to try and take out my starter and get it fixed/ replaced.

ADVICE?

I have a 1986 4 door sedan turbo gl-10.

Where should I go to get one of these? Should I get one new? Should I have it rebuilt. I have a chiltons and a how to keep your soob runnin guide so I can pull it easy enough. But once I have it out I have no Idea what to do with it or where to go.

All advice appreciated.

Also for you Soob lovers. Why does the xt and my car have different starters? They seem to be the same car? What makes the xt different from my GL-10 turbo Danku.

Geck512

Soob owner and proud of it!

:headbang:

Just get one from a yard. They don't go out often.. Just make sure you get the rone with the right body length. there are at least 2 different starter body lengths(found out the hard way doing my mauto to manual conversion).. you don't say if your car is 4wd or not .. if not, it shouldn't matter which one you use, if so, get the short one

Okay so I am going to a yard to rip a starter out of a wrecked Soob of like year and make? The shorter one because I have a 4wd (which wont engage?)

Any estimates on what I should be paying for it? Know any good yards in the portland/columbia gorge/corvallis area?

there are two starter contacts in the starter, one will usualy ware faster then the other. and willl soner or later leave the other side high and dry.

do this

pull out your starter. then take the two or three little screws out of the end of the little deal that piggy backs the starter. you should have two L shaped peaces of copper that contact a round peace atached to a plunger that will come out. see if the L shapes are worn un evenly. if so file them down so there the same or buy new ones there 18 bucks from subaru. \

might sound complicated but anyone who can chage a spark plug can do it. i worked in a subaru only shop for a little while 5 mounths or so (but the guy ripped people off so i quit) anyway out of the 35 or so starter problems i saw this was the proble in all but 1 of them...good luck.