Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Tire Help (Toyo Tires)

I have had Toyo tires a bunch of times, and have always thought they were good. I have them on my 98 outback wagon now (Toyo Spectras) and they do really well. They are a great wet weather tire. I have also had the Toyo 800 Ultras, and these are great as well. They seem to do fine in some snow, but I think I would prefer a true snow tire if I was going to be in the white stuff a lot. (Luckily we don't get a lot of snow around here).

Hope this helps some.

I have run Toyo tires on my vehicles off and on for the last 14 yrs. Their top of the line has always been a high mileage tire. Their "open country" truck tire only lasted about 45 to 50k miles but was a better traction tire. I currently have a set of Toyo 800 ultra's on my '98 outback and have 6ok miles on them. Yesterday I had the tire dealer check tread depth and was told they still have 75 percent left. When they were new a few yrs ago I was caught in a Blizzard in Montana and North Dakota. The roads were closed and unplowed and they handled the snow well. Consumer Reports rate them as a good all around tire. There are better handling tires in the various categories such as; snow, ice, rain, cornering dry and wet etc. I put a set of 800 ultra's on my 4x4 pickup 6 or 7yrs ago when they first came out and they did just fine. Of course for serious winter driving, nothing beats the new dedicated ice and snow tires for traction.

I think you sold me on Toyo !

In Philadelphia having a dedicated snow tire makes no sense to me. I do not have the storage room for 4 tires.

~Howard

:banana:

Originally posted by lsr3177

I have run Toyo tires on my vehicles off and on for the last 14 yrs. Their top of the line has always been a high mileage tire. Their "open country" truck tire only lasted about 45 to 50k miles but was a better traction tire. I currently have a set of Toyo 800 ultra's on my '98 outback and have 6ok miles on them. Yesterday I had the tire dealer check tread depth and was told they still have 75 percent left. When they were new a few yrs ago I was caught in a Blizzard in Montana and North Dakota. The roads were closed and unplowed and they handled the snow well. Consumer Reports rate them as a good all around tire. There are better handling tires in the various categories such as; snow, ice, rain, cornering dry and wet etc. I put a set of 800 ultra's on my 4x4 pickup 6 or 7yrs ago when they first came out and they did just fine. Of course for serious winter driving, nothing beats the new dedicated ice and snow tires for traction.

I just looked up Consumer Reports test of the mid line all season tires. The BF Goodrich Control T/A M65 tested as a better traction tire for snow, ice and wet roads. I think I would like to try that tire next if it is still in production.

I have a 97 OB. Live in Southern Ontario Canada. Do mostly highway driving.

I wore out a set of Michelin X-Ones, 160k km. They were a very good tire. Still had some tread left when I got rid of them.

I replaced with with Toyo 800 Ultras. The Toyo's have slightly better grip in rain and snow I'd say. (More open tread pattern). Wearing like nails. 700 treadwear rating. I have 125k km on them now and probably 1/3 tread left. They are a little noisier than the X-Ones. Ride about the same, perhaps a tad firmer. The shoulders will feather a bit, but tire rotation (one that crosses over side to side) will keep this in check.

My only gripe really has been that they are sensitive to balance. Half the time after rotating the tires, I have to have them rebalanced. Luckily it does not cost me anything. I get a mild vibration at highway speeds only. Anything under 100km/hr is fine. I once put my entire car up on jacks and put it in gear. All 4 tires had 1 to 3 mm of runout. A couple had 1 or 2 mm of wobble as well. I queried the dealer as to whether this was "in spec" and never got a straight answer. They have been very good about rebalancing and even kept the car for a day to test drive it, etc. 6 months ago, I had the tires rotated and everything was fine. A couple of weeks later, the car was in for servicing. The wheels were off for brake work, but not rotated. I get the car back, and the vibration has reappeared. Got them rebalanced, and everything ok. This indicated to me that wheel "position" on the hub is factoring into things. Perhaps my rotors/hubs are not 100% balanced. Anyway... the wheels were recently rotated, and again, the vibration returned. I took the (fronts only) off, turned them by 2 studs, put them back on... vibration significantly reduced. Hmmm... The thing is, I NEVER had this issue with the X-Ones.

So... I have mixed feelings about the tire. Great life. Very good grip for such a high life tire. Noise ok. Ride firm (ok by me). Roundness? Not totally sold...

This tire has also been around for a number of years and is considered 'older' technology. I've heard that a replacement is due, but I don't know just when. I will consider Toyo again, but I don't know if they will get a repeat purchase from me. (Actually, if I keep up this commuting, I will wear them out within the 4 year life guarantee and will probably end up with a replacment set for next to nothing. They do have "excellent" warranties. :) )

Commuter

Originally posted by howards11

I think you sold me on Toyo !

In Philadelphia having a dedicated snow tire makes no sense to me. I do not have the storage room for 4 tires.

~Howard

:banana:

Be sure and check in on the ice/snow tires. Most Goodyear/Bridgestone/Discount tire places will now store the tires FOR YOU for free or tiny fee, and the mount/dismount is free or significantly reduced. My step mom's Lexus gets this. No muss, no fuss for her, call them, go in, done. (in Iowa)

The amazingly better traction of Blizzak-type tires is truly incredible & it only takes one crash-avoidance for them to more than pay for themselves. I won't own a winter vehicle w/o dedicated tires (in Colorado).

• 7 months later...

I am exploring new tires as well. I have a quote for TOYO SPECTRUM for $345 or FALKEN (yokohama?) from Big O for $306. Or NANKANG (not sure, but they may be Yokohama as well) for $245. Any experience with the last two brands? It's for my '92 Legacy Touring Wagon, mostly city driving, 12K a year.