Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 turbo legacy tranny fluid

Guest whippet

While in Colorado on vacation last week I purchased a 94 turbo legacy. There are a lot of Subarus in Denver and along the front there. My wife found this one for me so I had to go look at it. While in Denver met a lot of board members. Went out and met Rick and Emily and also Kellie at CCR great people. Shawn was out there picking up a transmission and LSD so I got to meet him also.

Well back to the legacy here is a site with pictures of the car. I do have a question about the transmission gear lube. It has a 5 speed in it and I only have a service manual for 90 Legacy which does not cover any turbos. I was wondering what weight and type of gear lube and how much gear lube the tranny takes seeing that it is a different tranny than a regular Legacy.

<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~l.thurnau/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html" target="top">home.comcast.net/~l.thurnau/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html</a>

Thanks cjt

Guest svxpert

my cheat sheet says 1990 3.5 quarts and for 1991 up 3.7 quarts. My sheet doesn't specify turbo of N/A but I highly doubt there is a capacity difference in the trans cases. I use 80-90 weight in my cars.

Guest whippet

Josh it doesn't have the owners manual. I will be looking for one though. I have a service manual for 90 Legacy but they didn't have a turbo then. I guess from responces that it is 3.7 qt. and 80-90wt gear lube. The car is fun to drive. I need to do a few things to it like regular maintenance items and it has an alarm on it that sets it self and I'm always setting it off.

cjt

Guest Legacy777

well on the MT models the diff and transmission share the same oil, and in most cases, it uses a 75-90 wt. The automatics that have a separate differential use the 80-90wt.

I'll try and remember to check the fsm's I have at home for the capacity on the 94.

On the alarm, there should be a way to disable that auto-arming feature. What type of alarm is it?