Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Y-pipe (front pipe) on '95 legacy

Hello All-

I couldn't find a post specifically on this, so i thought i'd create one.

I have a '95 legacy, EJ22 engine with a break in my exhaust y-pipe. Here's where it is (I used a picture from Haynes manual):

http://seanconta.googlepages.com/y-pipebreak

at that connection, the outer pipe has corroded leaving it loosely "rattling" on the inner pipe. Nothing too tragic, but I'd like to fix this.

Two questions:

1 - Although the y-pipe assembly looks like separate pieces, I've been told that the only available part is the entire y-pipe, or "front pipe" assembly. Anyone heard otherwise?

2 - Exhaust work is no fun, but I think i'm gonna go after this. I'll probably do the front pipe, and the exhaust manifold gaskets. Has anyone tackled this before? any advice/problems?

thanks!

-Sean

I don't know if said Y-pipe is truly one single unit or is comprised of multiple pieces, but maybe one tricky point in doing this will be the exhaust manifold studs that subject Y-pipe attaches to on the bottom of the block.

If the studs are really corroded, then you're going to have a problem getting the new Y-pipe to stay on there as bolts won't be able to put on. I know on my '96 I can see the bolts but the studs look like a couple of rusty little stubs.

I know there's other posts on here about how to replace the studs and put in a Helicoil if the hole the studs thread into strip out on you.

Actually I just reread your post and you say 'outer pipe'. Are you talking about the heat shield? That's very common for those things to start rattling. Just put a big worm gear hose clamp or something around it to keep it from rattling if it bothers you, but if it's just the heat shield I wouldn't mess around with trying to remove the Y-pipe.

I've glanced at the manifold studs and they don't look great, but I'll have to see if they'll be a real problem. Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't referring to the heat shield, the actual exhaust pipe is corroded through and come loose at the fastener. It doesn't make an audible rattle (yet) but it certainly constitutes a hole in the exhaust. Some of the other connections look and feel sketchy, so I'm OK with replacing the whole y-pipe assembly at this point.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, has any noteworthy advice. I'm sure I'm going to run into some surprises!

thanks for the help

i completely removed the exhaust fro m a 96 leg 2.2L wagon 125k miles. i was going after the transmission. at the heads, none of the 4 nuts was a problem, but on both sides, one nut came off and one stud came out. i don't remember if both nuts were front or rear, but i do rememeber one nut and one stud on each side.

at the catalytic connection, these were spring loaded (i think, i know the next connection was) and both came apart ok. use a penetrating oil, the more the better. i had no problems with any of my exhaust bolts.

i think the leakiness of the engines helps in this area.

john

I've glanced at the manifold studs and they don't look great, but I'll have to see if they'll be a real problem. Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't referring to the heat shield, the actual exhaust pipe is corroded through and come loose at the fastener. It doesn't make an audible rattle (yet) but it certainly constitutes a hole in the exhaust. Some of the other connections look and feel sketchy, so I'm OK with replacing the whole y-pipe assembly at this point.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, has any noteworthy advice. I'm sure I'm going to run into some surprises!

thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a follow-up message:

I've completed replacing the Y-Pipe but not without a freakin battle. I was surprised when the 6 bolts at the head all came off on the first try - no heat required! I did soak them in PB Blaster over 2 or 3 days before I tried. The studs were in pretty good shape too ... Silly me started to get optimistic.

That feeling passed quickly as I confronted the two flange bolts just before the first cat. The flange is on an angle, so one bolt hangs down toward the ground and is easily accessible - no problem. The other bolt, however, is nestled snugly between the catalytic converter heat shield and the y-pipe heat shield, and the engine. It is virtually impossible to get any wrench or socket on there! After a few futile attempts, I finally decide I had to remove the cat heat shield to get access. Of course, I had to cut off all 5 of those rusted-to-hell bolts, just to remove it, which was not trivial. Once I got that off, this flange bolt was only marginally more accessible. And, of course, it was frozen solid to the nut, so I ended up just cutting IT off too! Needless to say, I replaced with stainless...

Has anyone been down this road before?? As of now, that bolt wins as the most inconveniently placed bolt that I've encountered on my car! Even getting the new one back ON was a giant P.I.T.A!

Well, nevertheless, all is well again, except the skin on my knuckles.

You could have removed the two spring loaded bolts just aft of the rear cat. which are easier to access, and removed the whole front section. Then you would have better access to the rear bolts on the y-pipe. Too late now, but just an idea for others.

matt