Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4-speed automatic slipping?

I pulled my motor and rebuilt it then put it back in and now it feels like the transmission is slipping. When I put the torque converter back in I made sure to rotate it around until it slid all the way into place then put the motor back in, then connected the flex plate. I did have some problems with the front rims rubbing on the front calipers and drove it around the block like that. Do you think this would be enough to burn out the transmission or did I not put the torque converter back in right?

if you didn't put the torque converter back in right, you would have had a lot more problems before running the car. For example, you would have had to fight the engine to get it anywhere near close to the bellhousing on the tranny, then if you did, and said TQ wasn't lined up right, you would have heard some very bad noises when you pulled the engine into the tranny. Like a loud bang, some metal grinding, etc. Then, when you were to start it up, there would have been ATF under the car pouring out and it wouldn't have moved anywhere, along with various grinding noises.

I've seen it done before, not a pretty sight:eek:

The calipers rubbing wouldn't be enough to damage it. I second Mikeshoup's question about the ATF level, especially if some spilled/leaked when the TC was off. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a fluid change if you haven't already done one recently. Is the "POWER" light indicating an error?

What kind of an error would the power light indicate, becuase mine flashes sometimes.

The calipers rubbing wouldn't be enough to damage it. I second Mikeshoup's question about the ATF level, especially if some spilled/leaked when the TC was off. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a fluid change if you haven't already done one recently. Is the "POWER" light indicating an error?

What kind of an error would the power light indicate, becuase mine flashes sometimes.
Well, in your case the POWER light indicates that your transmission is missing! :) The POWER light is the TCUs way of communicating with you, and if it recognizes a fault it will blink 16 times at startup. You can pull the codes by following a slightly funky procedure.