Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is or has anybody used Coopers tyres on their Forester?

I am currently running the dealer fitted Geolanders and I am currently looking around for alternative brands that will replace the Forester's 215/60 R16's.

I have heard that there is a problem with going to a taller tyre ie 215/70/R16 as it rubs or bumps against the bottom of the spring holder on the front strut.

Does anybody have any knowledge they can impart here??

P.S. I am in australia but can search for the brands to see if they are available down here, I know we can get Coopers and I like their idea of a Warranted mileage.

My experience and my family's experience with Cooppers has been dreadfull. Tread lasted forever but the bands broke and the tires would "cup". Road noise was bad, handling was bad and poor weather handling was worse!

We had a trusted tire dealer who was pushing Coopers and so we put them on everybody's car. We were disapointed and he was embarassed.

He no longer pushes Coopers (he learned his lesson as did we) and we are back to Michelans (sp) and Bridgestones.

Unless you have a different Cooper "down under" I would recommend something else. As far as the size question I can't help you much. Try http://www.tirerack.com and see if they have any information on their site.

Take care and good luck,

Greg

Greg, thanks for the feedback.

Did the bands break because you ran low tyre pressures ie <32psi?, or were they just **** tyres all round?

Coopers had a prob down here with "chipping" of the lugs and have made an alteration to the compound for Oz conditions, but dealers are waiting for them to arrive here downunder.

Originally posted by subyroo

Is or has anybody used Coopers tyres on their Forester?

I am currently running the dealer fitted Geolanders and I am currently looking around for alternative brands that will replace the Forester's 215/60 R16's.

I have heard that there is a problem with going to a taller tyre ie 215/70/R16 as it rubs or bumps against the bottom of the spring holder on the front strut.

Does anybody have any knowledge they can impart here??

P.S. I am in australia but can search for the brands to see if they are available down here, I know we can get Coopers and I like their idea of a Warranted mileage.

I am curious to know why you are looking for a brand other than Yokohama? Our outback came with michelins XW4s and I like our current Yokohama Avid Touring tires much better. I have never owned any Geolanders. I highly recommend doing research at http://www.tirerack.com and perhaps http://www.consumerreports.com (mainly USA, requires subscription)

Originally posted by 99obw

I am curious to know why you are looking for a brand other than Yokohama? Our outback came with michelins XW4s and I like our current Yokohama Avid Touring tires much better. I have never owned any Geolanders. I highly recommend doing research at http://www.tirerack.com and perhaps http://www.consumerreports.com (mainly USA, requires subscription)

Thanks 99obw.

The reason why I am looking around for alternatives to the Geolanders is because they wear out quickly from what other users have reported on different forums. Most people agree they are good for 35,000kms or (21,750 miles US) which is piss poor in man's language.

Now as for the reasons why they wear out so quickly nobody has hinted as to why, I only have 11,200kms (7,000 miles US) which is 1/3 worn if mine go the same way as all other reports.

The Cooper H/T tread pattern would suit me and the way I use my Forester, I am a Pensioner (not an old one either :argue: ) so I can't afford to go flogging my car around the scrub as much as I would like too as I can't afford the repairs.

I had a set of cooper vipers on a previous vehicle...I hated them. They were good for the first 10-12 months and then they became like plastic. They had lots of tread, but lousy rain traction. I'd be spinning out the wheels up a very small hill in third gear in the rain! Doing some research on at the tire-rack website will most likely set you in the right direction for quality tires.

I put Coopers on our '01 Forester when we had it. Had good service for the year+ we kept it before trading in on the '03 Baja. The OEM Yokohamas were gone too quickly (<40K miles) for my thinking. Why put on a 160 mph rated tire? Even the Forester will not go that fast. Very few people fall for Michelin that were French diehards since they started making them in Dothan, Alabama. Maybe the Coopers down under are made in a local plant that just cannot get it together.

My 98 forester came with bridgestone duelers 205/70r15. I replaced them with more aggressive Cooper discoverer 205/75r15 the last two times and are pleased with them. I use my forester off-road allot. I was getting allot of flats with the bridgestones. The coopers do allot better off-road. I just recently had the it lifted 2" and will be going more aggressive cooper discoverer stt's 215/75r15s