Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy/Impreza 4eat AWD swap

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Spent about 3 hours around the boards yesterday trying to get some info. Working on a friend's car. 1990 Legacy EJ22 wagon. It has a blown 4eat, 4.11 ratio. He picked up a 4eat from an Impreza EJ20, details unknown, from a used engine/tranny place, and was told it will be fine. I got the old transmission out. Before I ruin myself getting the replacement one in, how would I discern if this is a compatable exchange? No ratio identification on either that I could find, but have numbers of:

Legacy TZ102ZA1AA-JS Small sticker on bellhousing and trans-140161

Impreza TZ102ZSAAA-C3 Small sticker-673579

Only thing I can confirm is the spline count is the same, and the diameters are the same.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jon

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

My GUESS is that they are different, at least as far as final drive ratio. There may also be a difference in whether it came for an ODB1 or ODB2 car; I believe that you can tell somewhat by seeing if the tranny electrical connectors are the same.

#3 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

Thanks. I haven't check matched the main connectors. The speedo sensor (?) is cable on Legacy, and electric adapter/sender on Impreza. I believe these parts are swappable though. All along I have had a feeling about this swap, knowing that there are different ratios for all sorts of configurations.

Any more?

Thanks again, Jon

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

BTW, I just did a quick search for the impreza tranny's number on both NASIOC and LegacyBBS and did not get a hit on either search.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,308 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

there are multiple possibilites on the 4EAT so you are right in checking first.

can you call Subaru and ask them to look up that part number for you?

if it's a different ratio you can still use the transmission, just swap in a matching rear diff.

#6 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

Thanks guys for your efforts! Don't have the car the engine came out of. It is one of those used engine places. Subaru is really nice to put a HUGE label on the rear diff. Too bad they don't put even a small one on the front, or any indication. Maybe it is an import tranny that fell off the boat. :) I am still trying to track down info 'cause I really don't want to put this in and have to take it out.

Jon

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,308 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

and have to take it out.

you won't have to take it out, you'll have to swap the rear diff (which is very easy to do and they are very cheap as well).

even if you find out the ratio is different, you'd be better off getting the right diff and using this transmission anyway.

#8 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, only problem is, I don't know what this tranny ratio is so I don't know which rear I would use. Don't know all the configs of this stuff. Turbo ratio same as non? Impreza ratios different from Legacy? Year differances? Red cars vrs. Blue? I'm too old, my brain hurts. Can I slap a Ford 9" in there? They fit in anything. :)

Jon

#9 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,469 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

search car-part.com for impreza trans and hopefully you'll find one with the model number you have. then search for differentials for that model. a lot of work i know, but it could work.

some one near charlottesville, va was selling an impreza trans, maybe he has the diff too. check the for sale section.

good luck, john. look here: http://www.ultimates...highlight=tran*

Yeah, only problem is, I don't know what this tranny ratio is so I don't know which rear I would use. Don't know all the configs of this stuff. Turbo ratio same as non? Impreza ratios different from Legacy? Year differances? Red cars vrs. Blue? I'm too old, my brain hurts. Can I slap a Ford 9" in there? They fit in anything. :)

Jon

#10 pleiad7

pleiad7

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Sonoma County, CA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

Jon

If it came out of an Impreza EJ20, then it is positively a WRX 4EAT, unless it is JDM. The final drive is 4.11 for those, at least for the 2002-05 model years. They changed to 3.9 in 2006.

If it is JDM, all bets are off...:-\

#11 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,469 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

apparently that transmission was used in a 93 legacy, 2.0L in japan and russia??

looks like it might be jdm.

http://yosino.ru/motors.htm
http://groups.yahoo....es/148?expand=1
http://www.google.co...dr=all&filter=0

search car-part.com for impreza trans and hopefully you'll find one with the model number you have. then search for differentials for that model. a lot of work i know, but it could work.

some one near charlottesville, va was selling an impreza trans, maybe he has the diff too. check the for sale section.

good luck, john. look here: http://www.ultimates...highlight=tran*

#12 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

How did you find that stuff? :) Thanks to my browser's translate stuff I was able to poke around a bit. The Russian page is a listing of Japanese used stuff for sale. As you said, that number shows for a '93 Legacy 16 valve. Australian one shows for '95 Legacy. Still found notheg about ratios. I am still on the hunt though. It has to be "out there somewhere".

Jon

#13 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,308 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:44 PM

can you call Subaru and ask them to look up that part number for you?

have you tried this?

#14 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

I think its 4.11 geared.

#15 pappy52

pappy52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Camano Island, WA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

have you tried this?

It's on my list to do after this: (picture)

Attached Files

#16 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,469 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

It's on my list to do after this:

pappy, are you still out there?
i was wondering what happen with your trans swap?

#17 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,158 posts
  • WA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

He was just here yesterday, so he's around.
I'm interested to hear if this was resolved also.
I might be looking at a 4EAT swap also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users