Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom sub boxes?

...im about to install 2 12" subs, 2 6x9"s, 2 amps, and a capacitor....probably going to build my own box and am looking for some ideas/inspiration. Ive got an 87 wagon and thinking im going to do a box behindthe back seat and extend it out just past the wheel wells..have it come flat across the top just below the lip of the back seat and then angle down in front of the wheel wells and go all the way flush side to side. Mount the two amps with the cap in the middle up top and then the two subs and 6x9"s on the slanted piece.

I would but I have a big hole where a stereo used to be. I like your idea, I 'm intending on doing something similar, looking something like those things that go in truck beds that fit over the wheel wells and have storage on either side. It's sounds confusing, if I find some pics I'll post up.

Make sure each speaker/sub has it's own enclosure. They can all be in the same box, just put deviders in the box. Also there is this great fluffy stuff they put in boxes (dunno what it is really called, and haven't got any for my sub box yet) but it makes it sound so much better.

Oh, also heres what I done in my Brat. Lost 2 clicks on the seat position, but feels good.

http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/images/subbox.jpg

i had 2- 10'' subs in my 86 wagon a year or two back. if you haul crap in the cargo area, forget facing the subs to the rear hatch, sure you get more dB's but it wont matter if you put a 2x4 through your sub. i angled the front of the box so it sat at approximately the same angle as the rear seat. since you have 2- 12'' subs you looking for a number around 5.5-6.0 cu. ft. thats pretty big, and you wont have too much cargo area left. have your ports come out the top of the box, the amps and cap. can be mounted on the back. or mount one amp on each side of the box. up above the wheel well arches. if your gonna throw about 750-1000 wats through this you might want to consider 4 ga. wire. its more $$ but it will be worth it. and you might want to seriously consider getting the GM alternator upgrade for you car. i went through 1 alt. a year with my 2-10's. i had no cap. and only 8 ga. wire. plus my headlights dimmed like a mo-fo when i turned it up.

~Josh~

since you have 2- 12'' subs you looking for a number around 5.5-6.0 cu. ft. thats pretty big, and you wont have too much cargo area left. have your ports come out the top of the box, the amps and cap.

Different subs varie a lot. When you get a sub, you can make sure to get one that doesn't need much area. Also, if your buying good brand audio you most likely won't need/want a port in the box. It's all about the research and getting exatlly what you want and need.

On the box of your sub(s) it will tell you the arrangement that the subs require, how much cubed space, port or no port, ect.

If you haven't bought it all yet, it is also a great idea to talk to the sales guys at a car audio shop about what you want, and how you want it in your car.

I do agree with the bigger gauge wire, this will allow the subs to have that hit of power when they need it, instead of "stalling". Although the cap should take care of that a bit.

digital design nice.... but really u dont need to seperate the subs it just takes up air space and it helps a little on the flexing of the box and i doubt your gonna use huge subs. my advice is find a sub that takes about a cubic foot of air plus has good reviews with a low price. also the stuff that goes in a goes in a box is called poly fill its the stuff they use to fill stuffed teddy bears "awwww", the point of the stuff is to keep from resinating, canceling or distorting the sound its suposed to make in the box. hes also a tip dont use ports it will require a much bigger box and i personaly dont like it. "im not 16 any more". if u make your sealed box a little bigger your sub wont req as much power to make it move. "not much bigger like .3 cu"

I just went to the local ricer store and got their cheapest 10inch sub box. It was $40NZD carpeted and it even came with the wooly stuff in it. :banana:

sub.JPG

Also have 7inch Blaupunkt component speakers behind those covers and an Alpine amp running the rear stuff.