Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the dealer strikes agian.. bastards..

well i call the parts store to track down some tranny mounts.. figure that might be some of my problem..

parts stores don't have'm, so i call the dealer.. they want $55.98 +tax for 2 little pieces of rubber and steel that i can fit in the palm of my hand..

on top of that they tell me theres only 1,100 of them in the country and will take 3 weeks to get some cause they are coming from portland, OR.

i kindly told them thanks, and hung up.. not doin that.. i'll hit a boneyard and find some decent ones before i pay that, and wait that long...

Someone on the board more than three years ago made some mounts outa urethane and heavy wire and steel. I gotta set from him for like $20 but never installed them.

They are in my basement somewhere, but, you saw the condition of my basement, they could be anywhere...

Anyways, if we could find them we could model that and make some more. Urethane is a much better material than the stock rubber. All the big trucks use urethane blocks rather than rubber.

Later,

Mark

How about someone from here getting a part-time job at a dealer and sling us the parts for half the price...or atleast cost!!!

Just an idea.

What kind of discounts do you think they get anyway?

They probably don't take advantage if they do....All of the Subaru parts guys I have seen drive Pontiacs!:cornfuzz:

Josh!

Guest taprackready

I've read a couple of web sites where some backyard mechanic used Urethane windsheild adhesive to rebuild an old worn out motor or tranny mount. Tube is about $15-$20 bucks at NAPA. I think I would check that out. If I can find the web site I'll post it for ya.

Bill

I think the reason for this is, the part costs $1 to make, $20 is various overhead and dealer charges even more for knowledge and install, etc. Most people know _nothing_ about cars and couldn't tell a transmission from the exhaust pipe.

Just the same reason why they sell you coke for $0.99. It is worth less than 1 cent likely.

I don't get anything but OEM sensors for all my cars. I had a lot of trouble with after market stuff from Advanced Auto parts, so on. Especially sensors like O2 sensor, knock sensor. You have to get them at the dealer or on-line.

The other thery is that a Ford or Subaru, etc. dealer is supposed to know more about your model than anyone else. Most of the time you can get away at servicing your vehicle at plain jane service center (or ideally, doing it yourself as I try to) but some people insist on going only to the dealer who has the lastest information on recalls, knows the best parts. Is it worth it? Not to me but the fact that they exist shows they offer a valuable service to the ignorant public.

THe guy with the urethane ones was "Cvan".He made a few but not many for sale.He donated the drawing so others can make them.

Up here my local dealer can get whatever I need in a few days tops.Usually the next day or 2 days.That's including stuff from the other region's warehouses like the west coast,etc.

Call Perkins Subaru in Milford CT for kicks.If I think of it I'll stop by or call tomorrow and check price and availability.We all need them sooner or later.I might even be able to get some produced in urethane if we have enough interest.

Do these drawings still exist? I'd like to see them if whoever has them is willing to share. I think I need to replace the motor/tranny mounts in my 81 wagon. Grassroots Motorsports had an article recently on how to make eurathane and delrin bushings that could probably apply to mounts as well. Unfortunetly they haven't included it in their online tech section. I've got it so I'll have to dig through my stacks to see if the info applies.

heh, one question, whered we get started on motor mounts? i got 2 pairs, both are good.. i need the tranny mounts.. the ones that hold the tranny centered on the tranny crossmember....

on another note, i went to fisher parts.. checked on an oil pressure sending unit.. they wanted $40, i passed of course.. so i asked about an oil pump.. $112. i passed on that too.. only thing i've gotten from then cheap was a water pump.. $24 with gasket..

it'd prolly be faster when i get the money for someone in portland to hit the dealer, buy the tranny mounts, and fedex'em to me.. rather than wait 3 weeks for the dealer to get'em.. lol

I've got it.It's stored in MS Word.If you need it email me and I'll reply with it.

moosens at yahoo dot kahm

Urethane Transmission Mounts- EA-81 Series Transmissions

The urethane used is a tough, temperature resistant, and comparatively hard to other urethanes. With excellent damping properties, the transmission will run more efficiently, there will be more power surge to the halfshafts during acceleration, and off-road performance is greatly enhanced.

Installation

The kit includes two urethane inserts to be used with the existing transmission brackets. The rod that skewers the mounts are tabs to be bent in place during installation- Pulling these rods out or not bending them during installation could result in loss of the insert during heavy use- they are there in order for the mounts to work properly.

1) Relieve the engine pitch rod, so that the adjusting nut on either side is free to turn by hand, in other words, let the engine/transmission go to it’s natural resting position.

2) Loosen the two 12mm bolts that fasten the mount to the transmission, but do not remove the bracket that connects to the transmission directly.

3) If your mounts are completely shot, the stock mount should slide out- this is the part surrounded by the C shape piece bolted to the crossmember. If they are still bonded, loosen the 14mm nut from the crossmember to completely remove the mount as one unit.

4) With a razor blade, sharp pocket knife or steak knife, etc, cut away all rubber that is bonded to the mount. The points of interest are the surfaces of the bracket that have the two 12mm bolt pattern on it, and the lower-inner surface of the C bracket that mounts to the crossmember. With a wire brush, sandpaper, or file, remove the rubber until bare metal is showing all the way around. This is especially important for the lower-inner surface of the C bracket.

5) With all surfaces clean, re-mount the C bracket onto the crossmember and give it a few threads so it is loose.

6) Push the two 12mm bolt bracket into the slot of the insert, making sure that it is orientated so that the rod is facing up.

7) Push the bracket/insert combo back into place, and align the insert to the center of the whole assembly- this may take some work being a tight fit.

8) Bend the ends of the rod upward until they are pointing straight up.

9) Bolt the bracket down- depending on the condition of your vehicle, you may need to place a floor jack underneath the transmission to get the holes to line up.

10) Bend the rods the rest of the way, making them flush with the upper surface of the mount until they do not move or rattle.

In the event the mounts do not fit, write or email for your money back:

Chad Van Liere

448 E. Seneca

Tucson, AZ 85710

cvan@gci-net.com

I tried to copy and paste it here...hope it worked

• 2 years later...

:eek: ...Oh my HolyCowNess!... :eek:

You are in Heaven with that dealers... Try to find anything in our Country dealer... If you are Luky, they´ll have just one or two of anything you want, but most of time they don´t have anything there, and they don´t give any date to come, they always says somethin´ like this: "...Come back in six months..." and may pass years and your piece doesn´t come at all.

Not only Subaru dealers are like this here. That´s why here are Too many BIG HUGE JunkYards... The last thing avaliable to keep your subie runnin´, is Internet Buying... Throught G-Box or Somethin expensive :mad: like that.

I got 3 D/R tranny's sitting outside the back door of my shop. There are 2 decent sets of mounts there. I'm willing to pull them and mail em if you will pay the postage. Let me know

I was looking at cleaning them up and squirting urethane inbetween the rubber and the metal and letting it dry on the furnace for a day to stiffen them up. k What do you guys think?

I was looking at cleaning them up and squirting urethane inbetween the rubber and the metal and letting it dry on the furnace for a day to stiffen them up. k What do you guys think?

Urethane cures with heat and moisture. On the furnace would be fine if it's not too hot or very dry.