Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it is possible... to turbo a carb.

Nothing fancy needed, you just have to make sure that the air blowing through the carb isn't more CFM than the carburetor is rated for.

I've read articles online, of people who had V6 cars with carbs and a turbo. (stock)

So it CAN be done. Thus, I will continue with my dream, of a Turbo'd Weber 32/36 on an EA81.

(calculations show my engine at 7PSI would need 220CFM of air, the carburetor is capable of 350+CFM.)

People who say "you need low compression pistons!" don't remember that in the turbo/super charger world, under 9.0:1 is considered good... and those people must remember that someone has already done an EA82-T that has 9.5:1 pistons. (Dr. RX)

this'll be fun.

PS: Russ, Andrew will nail your foot to the floor if you don't get my sh1t to his house and start work on my car.

PSS: I'm not as anxious to get my car running as he is.

im sure there are several schools of thought on the whole turbo your car thing, but why if you are going to go through the trouble, why dont you fuel inject it?

subaru makes several systems that will work.just a thought.

everything i have heard, tells me that the blow through, or suck through method for carbs, makes for horrible drivability. like, its only for sand rails and drag racers, that ONLY use wfo throttle.

There is draw through, and blow through.

draw through goes through the turbine and pushes it into the engine. (between carb and manifold) while blow through pushes the air through the carburetor.

I've read of *both* working on carbed cars, and yes, sandrails with edelbrocks doing draw through, and a stock V6 with a turbo doing blow through.

I would do blow through myself. It's more of a space issue. some people (I need to find that page again) did do draw through on the v6 because the carb was a sidedraft.

And also, I don't want to fuel inject it. Anybody can add a turbo to a FI car with a MAF sensor and correct engine management.... but it's not done very much to do the carb+turbo. If it was at all as popular as turboing a fuel injected car, I wouldn't put this post up.

But yeah... I did think about going on a CIS or Megasquirt route... here was my previous thoughts.

1. EA81 shortblock and heads with an EA82 SPFI manifold. change the throttle body for one without an injector... drill the manifold for an injector in each side of the intake. (exact drilling and placement needed!) Add MAF, turbo, and engine management system. (Link, Megasquirt, CIS)

2. EA81 engine. Weber. Weber induction adapter... turbo, turbo exhaust parts. wastegate, bov, turbo timer. do some sort of intercooler setup. no computer needed. some guages would help. adjust timing and octane rating. all things that would be done to any other car...

So the one I chose should be easier to manage, and would be more appealing to me, because I don't want to be like everyone else. Turboing a carb'd car sounds more fun because it's generally, NOT done. But it can be, therefore it's okay.

If I get this thing accomplished, I might go for some SUB4 heads with TBi and add some turbos to that on a different car. that should be fun as well.

TURBO ON!!!!!

I have had 1 blow through, and 2 draw through, all VW type 1's

The blow through had very low (read BAD) throtle responce, and was a b*#@h to tune!

The draw through's wer just fine! A little trickey to set up @ 1st, but once I got them jeted right:brow: Look out world!! The Baja I had the 2nd one in would pull wheelys in 2nd gear:eek: :eek: And I did NOT have all the running/driving problems others told me I would have;)

Soobme: so your saying, the ones that sucked air into the turbo and pushed the air through the carb down to the manifold didn't work as well as the ones that sucked air through the carb and through the turbo and down into the manifold?

I'm trying to avoid that route for under-hood clearance issues, as well as adapter plates and crap.

Yup, U got it right. But the only exp. I have is with the VW engines, they are very similar to our soobs thoe.

GD, U are right about the blower thing. Alot more comon, and eazer to tune too. The blower makes the same boost @ a set RPM no mater what, the turbo is all over the place for boost@RPM. But the blower is a lot harder to find @ a wrecking yard than a turbo. And this idea smackes of cheep and eazy power. If I could get my hands on a small blower for a good price(read CHEEEEEP) I would build a blown EA81 and put it in my EA82 turbo car.:D

i have whats left of a airesearch

carbed turbo setup for a 4 barrel buick grand nation <before they went efi>

the turbine is shot but the carb mount and stuff is still good for something its meant for a qaudrajet 4 barrel but a small adapter plate could easily be made to mount other carb type onto the mount it also has provsions for water heating and ""gasp"" egr junk

i don't imagine it would be too hard to adapt it to any other turbo

There's lots of small supercharged motors out there - I know some company made a blower for the miata, and the newer nissan motors are commonly blown from the factory. I think all the xterra's come supercharged now. Lots of options out there for blowers - I know a buddy of mine was looking at a kit for his audi 2.8L - cost was around $3,000 for the supercharger and all the stuff to hook it up. I'm sure someone out there makes a blower for the older VW motors - one of those might be made to work.

GD

wongleflute Landy makes a blower kit for VeeDubs that is basically a shortened 6-71. Figure out a pulley drive, and suddenly your soob would be able to support a Holley 4-bbl!

Of course there are the judsons, but you'd be hard off trying to find a complete one, as they haven't been made for years...

I think you guys missed the point... supercharging carbed cars, sure, it's done alot more often than turboing one.

But putting the best of EA82 technology onto the best of what EA81 can do (the weber) is my idea. Something that any other sube owner could somewhat easily do... (for parts and price at least, versus everyone finding a judson or grabbing another blower)

Put an EA82 turbo onto, an EA81 car that has a carburetor. People put the weber on the EA81, and it's a common upgrade. And it's not too hard to find webers, and it's not insanely expensive... If I could get this to work right, then this might become a common upgrade as well. Something that those with webers could do. I'm just trying to open up doors to something that isn't too hard or expensive and alot of people could do without a sh1tload of trouble.

Well, finding a good EA81T or putting an EA82T into any given engine compartment would be a little hard.

If I could get this to work, and sube with a weber could be turbo'd. All I have to do is get the extra money for the parts in a couple of weeks or so.... and go grab the stuff from a turbo XT.

I have been kicking around this very idea for about 4 months now, but I am thinking that the holley 500cfm 2bbl (model 2300) would be the best carb for the job. If I do it, I will just make a pipe that comes off of the turbo intake side strait up to a mounting flange for the carb with a rod coming off the motor somwhere to hold it stedy. With the holley carb it will be EAZY to tune, and I think that 500cfm should be enough.

the Holley might be a good idea. if it's a two barrel ford style, you could go grab a factory adapter from a Ranger with a weber... use the 2bbl to weber adapter upside down, and grab a weber to subaru adapter. You'd have no custom stuff needed, and it would essentially make a two barrel work on our subies.

There's one in my town's JY. That's where I got my weber from. A 2.3L Ford Ranger truck. (for $35!)

Anyhow, the weber is an easy carb to tune, and seems like a good choice because it doesn't rely on ten thousand vacuum lines to work correctly. (the idea of turboing a hitachi is scary.) I can always get an A/F guage to read my O2 sensor and tune it from there. (the only part of my emissions system still left on my car... hehe.)

Take a computer cooling fan...attach it to top of carb...wire it to a toggle switch...flip it on when you need a little more air. A friend did it to my old Chevy 350 with a Carter 600cfm carb on it...and believe it or not...it gave it a slight boost when needed. Probably cost you less than 5 bucks to fabricate.