Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust time!

Alright, I'm planning on replacing the exhuast on my '78 4X4 wagon soon...

What setup should I go for? I'm open to anything. I'd like it to be pretty unique. Cost isnt a huge factor, but I'd like to stay at $300 or under (the going rate for the exhaust shop im using to have one muffler with resonator installed is usually around $200)

Since theres no cat, I can technically do anything I want even though this is california :P I probably need to keep it somewhat quiet, so straight pipes are out of the question. The one thing I DO need to keep is the stove-pipe piece, but I figure that can just get wraped around the curve of the exhaust leaving the head.

I plan on taking it to a local muffler shop I use often and having them build the whole thing using a new design, and they have access to mostly magnaflow mufflers I believe.

I was thinking 1" pipes from the heads, and if I do a Y pipe, make it 2" after that (running two seperate exhausts is also a possibility) but I'm pretty much up in the air on that...

So, lets hear some ideas! :banana:

HI This is Jerry, can you say side pipes. I have them on my 86 hatch back, if you look at last years show pictures you will see my hatch with those side pipes. It is the one with the cragar wheels on it, the only subaru that has cragar wheels. I built the pipes myself Thanks Jerry

I thought about side pipes, but I already have a side pipe since theres a hole in my muffler and its spewing out the side :eek: Its making scorch marks on the paint, so I'm not sure I want to go that route, and im not sure how to fit the muffler doing side pipes too...

Hi This is Jerry, the muffler is in the side pipe or part of the side pipe. When i built my pipes i got 2 3 inch glass packs and about 6 feet of 3 inch exhaust tubing. I cut the end of the tubing on a 45 degree angle welded it together and added the pipe on to it. Wow you got a side pipe built hang it to the car 1 side is done repeat for the other side and have the exhaust shop hook them up. Thanks Jerry