Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cooling fans...normal??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GL-10 Turbo

GL-10 Turbo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Sonoma County, CA

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

I recently picked up my s/nsake for $200 and drove it home.

One thing that I've noticed is that whenever the key is in the acc. position, that the fan/fans come on. Is this normal, or is this some sort of rigged contraption that I need to find/get rid of?

I'm working on restoring this from scratch, and sealing the motor, etc. is part of the plan. I'm also taking out the entire a/c system (not really needed), so some help on this fan issue would be appreciated.

#2 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • alaska

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

My 92 Loyale does the same. I think this is normal.

Sam

#3 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Nope, its not normal. The electric fans are made to only turn on at high temps (when the thermoswitch on the radiator closes), or when the A/C turns on.

#4 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • alaska

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

the key is in the acc. position, that the fan/fans come on.

My mistake! I mistook it for AC.

Sam

#5 rllywgn

rllywgn

Diff Lock Dynamite!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Vegas Baby

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

good possibilty that the fan has been rewired.. a quick fix for a bad thermo switch or additional help for a less then stable cooling system.

I've done this a few times just because I know I dont have to worry about the fan coming on when it's supposed to..

rllywgn

#6 GL-10 Turbo

GL-10 Turbo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Sonoma County, CA

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

I appreciate the responses. I'd like to make this as stock as I can (minus the A/C), and since I work in a dealership parts dept., I can try to make this happen.

#7 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,873 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

Most likely the temp sensor in the radiator(I think thats where it is..) died and the previus owner just wired the relay cable to the negative of the battery.

#8 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

Make sure you check under the dash for lamp cord, melted wires, melted connectors, blown fuses...........
Hopefully your PO was a little smarter than mine.
Also, if the fan makes a sound other than a nice smooth blowing air sound, replace it. A rattle or grinding noise is bad.

#9 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:08 AM

Also, if the fan makes a sound other than a nice smooth blowing air sound, replace it. A rattle or grinding noise is bad.

i had one that sounded like a fire siren at its highest pitch... that got quite a few looks.

#10 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

my fan was rigged, but i bypassed the thermoswitch with a straight wire through the thermoswitch plug.. so now its rigged in a tidier manner. my brother originally replaced the stock elec fan with an aftermarket, and then spliced the hot side onto the factory plug, and the ground went to the thermostat housing. i put a stock fan back in, and am using the stock plug.. but have a bad thermoswitch in the radiator, so i bypassed it.

however, when i was playing with it.. plugged into the bad thermoswitch, the fan still failed to come on with the AC. i would like to trace this to a possible cause, but dont have a clue where to start... if any help comes up on the thread for my issue as well, 'twould be appreciated.

anyhow, check that thermoswitch plug. it may be bypassed the way i did mine, which would mean your thermoswitch is probly bad, and could just be replaced and plugged back in, and it should function normally. the stock fan connector is a roundish, oval shaped plug with two wires on it.. and the thermoswitch varied. I have a T-type connector,(87 GL10) but the loyale i took my rad out of (92) had another roundish plug... but the switch in question in just above the drain valve for the radiator. look down there and see if its plugged in or not.. and if not, find a plug that looks like it fits there.

#11 GL-10 Turbo

GL-10 Turbo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Sonoma County, CA

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Make sure you check under the dash for lamp cord, melted wires, melted connectors, blown fuses...

Whachoo be doin' lookin' in my car, Welder?? :lol:

I took out a redneck security system, which involved a round key which activated a solenoid, which slid a hood latch in place to lock the hood down. There's lamp cord in the engine bay, a melted wire or two, but no blown fuses that I can see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users