Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1998 5-speed Legacy GT stalls at stops and in neutral, and then runs terribly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tragle

tragle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Brooklyn

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hi,

Here's the story. I bought a 98 Legacy with only 40K miles, but with the CEL on, from a dealer in New Jersey, got on the turnpike, and it stalled at the first tollbooth. It started fine, but the engine sounded like a lawnmower, was shaking terribly, and had a fraction of the power it was supposed to. I brought it back to the dealer, he started it up, and it was fine. We later figured out that if the car is doing this, you can turn it off, let it sit 5-10 seconds, and when you start it up, it's fine.

Sometimes, the car will start running badly, shaking etc, without stalling first. Always, though, it's when the RPMs have gone from high to low pretty quickly, like when stopping, or shifting into neutral between gears. However, it doesn't always happen, so it's difficult to replicate.

He had me bring it to a mechanic, who replaced injectors and the Idle Air Control motor. When I picked it up, the CEL was off, I thought everything was okay. First time I get on a highway, though, and slow down due to traffic, it stalls, I restart, it sounds terrible and has no power, and the CEL is back on.

The dealer had me bring it to another mechanic, who took out the EGR valve and told me to drive it for a week or two. If the car doesn't run badly, the EGR was the problem. It ran very good after this for several days, but occasionally stalled. Then, one day it stalled and shook and had no power. It did this a few times, but not near the frequency it had been when I first bought it.

Then, I took it on a 100-mile trip, and after a couple of hours it started stalling almost at every stop sign, sometimes running badly afterwards, sometimes not.

As it is now, I'm taking it back to the second mechanic, who will put in a new EGR and then do the next thing, whatever that is.

What could possibly be wrong with this otherwise wonderful car? I've searched through the forums here and seen some people with similar problems, but not quite the same, and never with a definitive solution.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,512 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

First thing to do is not go back to that dealer (unless its under warrenty). Sounds like they didnt bother pulling the codes. Go to an autozine and let them pull the codes. Modern cars dont have many fuel system issues, so this is going to be electrical. It can be the coil, the ignitor, or bad cam/crank sesnors... or a few other possabilities.

SInce it doesnt do it when cold, im betting on an eletrical issue.

We need the codes.

nipper

#3 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

My car acted very similarly when the MAF (Mass air flow) sensor was toast.

#4 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:23 AM

MAF, bad gas, plugged fuel filter, I would also consider valve sticking in the heads, this would be cause by infrequent oil changes and not a lot of highway driving and vehicle sitting quite a bit. MotorVac, or throttle body cleaning might help your situation.

#5 tragle

tragle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Brooklyn

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

We need the codes.

Here are the codes:

P0400 - EGR Flow Malfunction
The EGR valve is gone so that makes sense.

P1101 - Fuel Air Metering

P1507 - Idle Speed Control

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,512 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Here are the codes:

P0400 - EGR Flow Malfunction
The EGR valve is gone so that makes sense.

P1101 - Fuel Air Metering

P1507 - Idle Speed Control

why is the egr gone? thats actually important these days to prevent ping.

idle speed control can cause stalling, and fuel metering i think is related to map sesnor, but i would inspect the ISC first.

nipper

#7 tragle

tragle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Brooklyn

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

why is the egr gone? thats actually important these days to prevent ping.

idle speed control can cause stalling, and fuel metering i think is related to map sesnor, but i would inspect the ISC first.

nipper

The mechanic took out the EGR and had me drive without it to see if the problem still happens (it does). He ordered a new one.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,512 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

whew ... but im not crazy about your mechanic.
check the idle air conrol motor, the ISC is the same thing pretty much.

nipper

#9 Gene J

Gene J

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Wheaton, IL

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

whew ... but im not crazy about your mechanic.
check the idle air conrol motor, the ISC is the same thing pretty much.

nipper

My 98 GT did that. IAC needed to be cleaned. Works great now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users