Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil/grime on oil pump after replacement

I was changing the oil on my 99 legacy and my wifes 96 OBW. On the oil pump there are 2 round things that come sraight down. The one that is on the drivers side has a *slight* bit of grime. The other is bone dry and clean. When I replaced them I used all OEM parts. Everything else looks clean. I use 10W-30 motor oil. I change oil about every 4,000 miles (I am learning how to hug a tree) and this is the first I noticed it. When I changed the timing belt I changed cam seals, main seal, belts, hoses, thermostat w/gasket, water pump and oil pump w/O-ring. This is about 8,000 miles, 4 months, ago on the 99 (130,000 miles) and 4,000 miles and 4 months on the 96 (about 125,000 miles). This is light grime. Nothing dripping, nothing wet just some dirty grime.

Any thoughts,

Greg

I think those things that come down, one is on the suction side and one is on the discharge side. I don't know the purpose. Sounds like maybe the one that gets the grime might have a slight slight leak, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have several oil fittings using JIC connections which are supposed to be excellent hydraulic fittings and I get grime around them all the time.