Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil/grime on oil pump after replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Subarunation 713

Subarunation 713

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Bridgman (SW Mich)

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

I was changing the oil on my 99 legacy and my wifes 96 OBW. On the oil pump there are 2 round things that come sraight down. The one that is on the drivers side has a *slight* bit of grime. The other is bone dry and clean. When I replaced them I used all OEM parts. Everything else looks clean. I use 10W-30 motor oil. I change oil about every 4,000 miles (I am learning how to hug a tree) and this is the first I noticed it. When I changed the timing belt I changed cam seals, main seal, belts, hoses, thermostat w/gasket, water pump and oil pump w/O-ring. This is about 8,000 miles, 4 months, ago on the 99 (130,000 miles) and 4,000 miles and 4 months on the 96 (about 125,000 miles). This is light grime. Nothing dripping, nothing wet just some dirty grime.
Any thoughts,
Greg

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

If you clean it off, does it come back right away?

#3 Subarunation 713

Subarunation 713

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Bridgman (SW Mich)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

If you clean it off, does it come back right away?

I will watch it and check back in after about 2 weeks and see. What are those little deals that comedown?

#4 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

They're just drain channels for the oil pump -- allen plugs come out and allows oil to drain from the pump.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

I think those things that come down, one is on the suction side and one is on the discharge side. I don't know the purpose. Sounds like maybe the one that gets the grime might have a slight slight leak, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have several oil fittings using JIC connections which are supposed to be excellent hydraulic fittings and I get grime around them all the time.

#6 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

The bottom plugs just close up openings that were needed for machining oil passages in the casting. It seems unlikely for them to be leaking. Any oil in that area would probably come from higher up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users