Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Info on 2003 Legacy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 briang@wybron.com

briang@wybron.com

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

I am going to look at a 2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan with 2.5L H4 tonight. It has 36000 miles and I think I can get it for about $12,000. What are the known problems to look for on this year of car?

Thanks for your help

#2 benebob

benebob

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Fit and finish sucks. Orange peel, poor body panel lines etc. Check the tranny fluid if an auto and if burnt walk away. Find out if the 30k service was done (not the cheapest usually about 300 or so). Make sure the tires are the same brand and tread pattern. Brake rotors tend to warp as well. Piston slap at start up when cold but its probably too warm for that. Fairly normal though!

#3 briang@wybron.com

briang@wybron.com

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. Why would the tranny smell burnt at that mileage? Is there a known problem?

#4 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

Fit and finish sucks. Orange peel, poor body panel lines etc. Check the tranny fluid if an auto and if burnt walk away. Find out if the 30k service was done (not the cheapest usually about 300 or so). Make sure the tires are the same brand and tread pattern. Brake rotors tend to warp as well. Piston slap at start up when cold but its probably too warm for that. Fairly normal though!

Sounds like you love the 03 models!! :brow:
Also be sure you have a warranty on the HG my fathers blew on his 03 at 34k.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,605 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Why would the tranny smell burnt at that mileage? Is there a known problem?

if they had mismatched tires or drove on a flat, the AWD clutches will get very hot and burn the fluid. It will also turn the fluid brown.

nipper

#6 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,786 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

funny gut feeling...I bet it was a lease car. See if the dealer can tell you if so or not. See if they have any service history on it too.

Enjoy it. they are great cars.

#7 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

[...]What are the known problems to look for on this year of car?

I hate to sound like Donald Rumsfeld :) , but you should probably consider the "unknown unknowns", too. If you get serious about plunking down $12k, you might consider pulling a CARFAX report. It can either give you more confidence about the purchase, or be a (relatively) cheap warning or bargaining tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users