Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From what I've learned with my EJ18 project so far, the ONLY real difference between the EJ18 and the N/A EJ22 is the bore. Everything else is virtually identical.

so one enigine is a bigger bore then the other?

HEY someone had to say it :banana:

nipper

EJ18 has 110hp.

It's just as reliable as the EJ22, maybe more so actually.

Yes, nipper, the EJ22 has a larger bore :lol:

If you do get an EJ18 for a swap, get one from a 93-94 Impreza, so then you don't have to deal with EGR stuff.

My 94 Impreza EJ18 donor had EGR... My 93 Legacy EJ22 didn't... It's hard to tell which year has what.

The ej18 is very reliable. Mine will soon be entering the 200k mile club...no real problems, except for the stinky oil smoke billowing out from under the car after being run harder than usual. I'll do a reseal job eventually, but the leak really isn't that bad yet. Considering its massive, stock, 1.8 litres, it is quite powerful and zippy. 'Course I'm not pullin' the extra weight of AWD. My Subie is a Fronty. :(

Gas mileage is better than the 22's, as well. FWD helps magnifies this. I think my '93 is EGR-less. Or at least it hasn't plugged yet. (Couldn't tell you for sure, though. I'm a veteran mechanic but an emissions control rookie. Ah...the good old days when cars didn't have any of that crap. So what if the gas mileage was bad? Gas was cheap then!)