Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 4WD Loyale rear axle pin removal

Hello all,

I am trying to remove the rear drive shafts on my 92 Loyale 4WD SW.

The drift pins are not budging! Does anybody have any tips on how best to remove them? They are soaking in penetrant right now.

I am going out to buy a bigger punch... I doubt the pins have ever been off and are rusted.

Thanks for any help.

OK, I found a thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62511&highlight=rear+axle

on stuck pins and am on my way to get a 3/16" pin punch. I also want to find out what PB blaster is????

I will try heating the DOJ to loosen and allow the penetrant to soak further, then pound and pound....

I didn't find the thread the first search I made. Don't you like incompetent posters? Anyway, thanks so much for this board. It can be a lonely feeling to be stuck on a repair. You folks always have great ideas and solutions combined with humor and moral support...

Thanks!

David

Hello all,

I am trying to remove the rear drive shafts on my 92 Loyale 4WD SW.

The drift pins are not budging! Does anybody have any tips on how best to remove them? They are soaking in penetrant right now.

I am going out to buy a bigger punch... I doubt the pins have ever been off and are rusted.

Thanks for any help.

This post should be eventually moved to Old Generation. Your Loyale is actually the same as the 85-89 GLs, so its an old gen car.

Anyways, sounds like you're on the right track with a 3/16" punch.

PB Blaster is amazing stuff if you've never used it. It comes in an aerosol can, and is available at nearly every auto parts chain. It eats rust for a living, and provides some lubrication. Perfect for loosening stuck bolts, or anything else that my have started to rust. Buy a can of this, and spray away!

Oh, and don't feel bad about not finding the thread originally. The search engine for this forum SUCKS.

Thanks for all the help. The pins are out and now I'm working on getting the DOJ off of the splined shaft. I got some PB blaster and I have been spraying away.

I'm going to let it soak away and the try prying it off and if that doesn't work, I'll try some heat. It's very close to the gas tank...

I thought I posted it in the Older Gen forum. I have to double check where I posted this and try to post in the proper place in the future.

Thanks,

David