Ultimate Subaru Message Board

startup and idle problems with my loyale

naz

Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone could offer insight into my problem. the car is a 1991 loyale 5spd with the SPFI EA82 motor

when i first start the car, especially when its cold, i need to blip the throttle for the engine to start. then the idle is very low, like 500rpm. the idle used to go up to 2000rpm and stay there for a while and slowly go down. the check engine light goes on and stays on too.

also, when i step on the clutch, and the rpms drop back to idle, sometimes if the motor was turning at like 2000rpm then the idle will drop so low the engine stalls. this usually happens when the engine is still cold. when the engine is warmed up, the rpms still drop pretty low (so low all the dash lights briefly come on.. but the rpms rise to a normal idle)

the car drives ok though, and i dont notice any problems other than at idle.

when it first started to get cold, the CEL would come on, and then i'd drive around for a bit, turn the car off, and then i'd turn the car back on and the car would drive normal

it got worse recently and i changed the O2 sensor, but it didn't make a difference.

when none of the ECU connectors are connected, key on engine off, the ECU light just gives me 5 quick blinks then pause then repeat. i thought that in U mode i'd get an code that triggered the CEL...

so ya.. sorry for the long post.. i don't have much subaru experience and the chilton's isn't giving me any ideas

thanks

when none of the ECU connectors are connected, key on engine off, the ECU light just gives me 5 quick blinks then pause then repeat. i thought that in U mode i'd get an code that triggered the CEL...

connect the green connectors on the drivers side top firewall and try again.. that will give you currently active codes

• 1 year later...

here's the correct link -

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6489

sounds to me like the coolant temp sensor or the idle air control valve as it will not high-idle - you will have to check the codes to tell which one

I just read the linked thread - I appear be redundant - Skip explained it better anyway