Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild parts source and mod questions

Now that I have determined that I have bad rings in my #1 cylinder, I am going to do a complete rebuild of my old engine and hopefully modify it a little. Some questions arise.

Where should I get all of the parts for the rebuild? Should I just go down to Carquest or Schucks, or is there some company that specializes in this sort of thing? Are complete kits available that include everything, even all the seals?

Now for the mod questions. What can be done to the ea82 while its apart for more power, WHILE KEEPING THE RELIABILITY.

Things that immediately come to mind are port work on the intake and exhaust, cams, and shaving the block a bit for higher compression. I know some people on the board (Qman?) have shaved their block for higher compression, and I've heard discussion about port work. I don't know much about cams though, and they are probably kind of expensive. I have heard that XT cams are bigger. What about SPFI pistons and not messing with the block?

Any input would be great, and I'm open to all sorts of suggestions. I just don't want to spend a lot of money beyond the parts needed for the rebuild itself and maybe some machine work.

Thanks in advance.

I know this was discussed quite some time ago, but I never really heard a definitive answer. All of the hi-po V8 guys balance and blueprint their engines. Since I'm going to have everything apart anyway, is it worth the time to balance everthing by weighing all of the pistons and rods and shaving bits off until they all weigh exactly the same? I know this would only result in a 1/4 horsepower increase at best, but what about longevity? Theoretically, that would put less stress on everthing, which should make the engine last longer.

Also, on the issue of camshafts. Would they really help that much with the lame single-port heads? And is it possible to get cams that will give a slight increase in power without any detrimental effects to the fuel economy?

And finally, should I replace the oil pump or just re-seal it? The oil pressure was pretty good the last time that engine ran, and there was no lifter noise (I will clean the lifters just for good measure though).

Balancing and stuff is always good for an engine. V-8s have alto more rotating mass than the EA82, therefore it has a larger effect on those. I'd still do it to my turbo engine...if I had the time and equipment.

As for cams...i tihnk delta only offered two cams thru Comp Cams's catalog. I believe you can get custom grinds too...but the cam I am getting is supposed to be pretty good...for both racing and street. El Mucho power increase, and good idling.

As for the oil pump...if it looks likes it almost new after cleaning it...id reuse it.

Balancing reduces friction and its associated energy loss, reduces wear, and reduces stress on just about everything. And it really isn't that expensive. Just get all the parts you plan to use and dump them at the machine shop, and reap the benefits.

Maybe upgrade to some ARP fasteners while you are at it. Like rod and head bolts, especially.

Take a die grinder and remove all of the casting flash from inside the engine block. It removes stress risers and helps oil drain back to the pan faster. You can polish your rods (snicker) to reduce stress in those, and then shot-peen them or have 'em cryo'd.

Has anybody used NAPA's rebuild kit? I'm always suspicious of NAPA due to prior experiences, so that's why I'm wondering. It apparently includes everything, even all the seals, and normally costs about $450, but with my student discount I can get it for like $275 I think. That, plus SPFI pistons, plus timing belts, plus (maybe) cams, would end up probably being around $600 in parts. If the clutch and TO bearing are still good (probably a coin toss). Does this sound reasonable?