Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 oil pump question..

i know on some other brands of cars when an oil pump goes you lose oil pressure completely..

and i know about the ea82, er27 oil pumps needin resealed.. but even if they need sealed they still put out sufficient oil pressure to do the job..

since ea81's are new to me, what happens when an ea81 oil pump goes out?? no pressure at all? lifters start tickin? what?

I bought an oem subaru oil pump from thepartsbin.com and put that on my lifted brat three years ago (now michael keck's brat). Then the pump only cost me like $45. I hope that is still the case. Check them out.

I broke my old pump getting it out, their mounting surface is aluminum and pretty flimsy, so be careful with your puller.

Mark

They now cost $57, still a deal though:

Vehicle: 1986 Subaru Hatchback OHV 4WD

Part: Oil Pump

Fits

Engine: 1.8L OHV-

To view shopping cart contents, click the View Cart link above. Free Shipping Over $50.00 - 48 States Only Product Brand List Price Core Qty

Oil Pump

A6010-57817

In Stock Japan $70.72 $57.60

------------

Mark

Guest taprackready

I rebuilt mine for $5.00 with reseal kit from NAPA. I imagine if it was going bad you would hear not so good noises and may have some rods poking out of the side of the block.

Bill