Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove a crank pulley?

Hey,

I have a 1993 impreza with the 1.8. I'm trying to remove the timing belt cover to access the oil pump. I've had no luck so far removing the crank pulley. The engine is out of the car. I have a long breaker bar on the crank bolt and and second one one of the cam bolts and haven't been able to break it. Should I just keep at it? Or is there a better way?

Thanks, Dave

i just did this the other day and i used a penetrating oil all around the pulley and kinda wiggled it side to side and it came off .... they all dont always come that easy , be carful levering against other parts of the engine , i also have used a crankshaft puller looks like a tripod that has three arms that go on the back of the pulley and you screw a bolt down onto the crankshaft and it pulls the pulley off .... just keep workin at it . cheers blair

Hey,

I have a 1993 impreza with the 1.8. I'm trying to remove the timing belt cover to access the oil pump. I've had no luck so far removing the crank pulley. The engine is out of the car. I have a long breaker bar on the crank bolt and and second one one of the cam bolts and haven't been able to break it. Should I just keep at it? Or is there a better way?

Thanks, Dave

See the following thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62614

Especially the photo by Porcupine73.

A Picture speaks a thousand words. Should be alot easier that way.:)

More leverage is the answer. I would hesitate to use heat on that bolt. It is a standard thread. I guess an air impact wrench is not in the picture. Seems to me with the engine out of the car you could put a pretty long pipe on the breaker bar and get plenty of leverage, I've got a six foot long piece of 2" steel pipe laying around just for days like this. The hard part is keeping the engine from moving around, or the crank from turning. Which piece of this are you having difficulty with?

Dangerdave you probably just need to lay on it. I had to put probably 300ft-lbs before I got mine to break on '00OBW. That took a good 3' pipe on the breaker bar. I hear the starter bump method works very well though I haven't tried it. Penetrating oil did me no good as bolt was in tip top shape just tight.

Be sure when you put that bolt back in that you tighten it correctly (final tightness by degree not just torque). If that thing loosens up later on it can cause lots 'o trouble.