Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I remove a crank pulley?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dangerdave

Dangerdave

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Waterloo

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Hey,

I have a 1993 impreza with the 1.8. I'm trying to remove the timing belt cover to access the oil pump. I've had no luck so far removing the crank pulley. The engine is out of the car. I have a long breaker bar on the crank bolt and and second one one of the cam bolts and haven't been able to break it. Should I just keep at it? Or is there a better way?
Thanks, Dave

#2 kiwisub

kiwisub

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • kapiti coast

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

i just did this the other day and i used a penetrating oil all around the pulley and kinda wiggled it side to side and it came off .... they all dont always come that easy , be carful levering against other parts of the engine , i also have used a crankshaft puller looks like a tripod that has three arms that go on the back of the pulley and you screw a bolt down onto the crankshaft and it pulls the pulley off .... just keep workin at it . cheers blair

#3 Dangerdave

Dangerdave

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Waterloo

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

Its the bolt itself that I'm struggling with. We had alot of torque on it and it didn't budge. It's standard thread right?

#4 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

You can do it with a very very large torquebar or you can use the starter to "bump" the bar and undo the bolt.

#5 alan120_3

alan120_3

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • tasmania

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hey,

I have a 1993 impreza with the 1.8. I'm trying to remove the timing belt cover to access the oil pump. I've had no luck so far removing the crank pulley. The engine is out of the car. I have a long breaker bar on the crank bolt and and second one one of the cam bolts and haven't been able to break it. Should I just keep at it? Or is there a better way?
Thanks, Dave

See the following thread:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=62614

Especially the photo by Porcupine73.

A Picture speaks a thousand words. Should be alot easier that way.:)

#6 2X2KOB

2X2KOB

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Midstate MO

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

More leverage is the answer. I would hesitate to use heat on that bolt. It is a standard thread. I guess an air impact wrench is not in the picture. Seems to me with the engine out of the car you could put a pretty long pipe on the breaker bar and get plenty of leverage, I've got a six foot long piece of 2" steel pipe laying around just for days like this. The hard part is keeping the engine from moving around, or the crank from turning. Which piece of this are you having difficulty with?

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

Dangerdave you probably just need to lay on it. I had to put probably 300ft-lbs before I got mine to break on '00OBW. That took a good 3' pipe on the breaker bar. I hear the starter bump method works very well though I haven't tried it. Penetrating oil did me no good as bolt was in tip top shape just tight.

Be sure when you put that bolt back in that you tighten it correctly (final tightness by degree not just torque). If that thing loosens up later on it can cause lots 'o trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users