Ultimate Subaru Message Board

axle pops out of transmission, please help!

ok all started today when i decided to do the Outbackfitication of my legacy wagon. i put the struts on and i might have dislocated the drivers side front axle that goes to the transmission :banghead: . well i found out when there was diferential fluid leaking on top of the Y exhaust pipe and there it was, the axle was pulled out of the tranny. now my questions are:

does the axle come out of the tranny with out removing the pin?

does it leak when that happens? (it was leaking diferential oil)

I put it back the way it was, is it gonna stop the leak? do i Have to do any thing else?:(

thanks in advance

Neo

There is a spring clip that holds the stub shaft in the Diff. If the stub shaft pulled out, look to see if the spring clip is there. If not, I'd drain the diff and see if it comes out. At any rate, you need a new clip. Pull the half-shaft pin, put the stub shaft in with a new clip and then put the half shaft back on.

There is a spring clip that holds the stub shaft in the Diff. If the stub shaft pulled out, look to see if the spring clip is there. If not, I'd drain the diff and see if it comes out. At any rate, you need a new clip. Pull the half-shaft pin, put the stub shaft in with a new clip and then put the half shaft back on.
^ What he said. I wouldn't expect the whole stubshaft to come out w/ an axle installed; the axle is most likely the only thing holding the stub in.

yeah but it didnt come out entirely it was only a inch or 1/2" away from its original position. would that make it leak diff oil? well what should I do, its back in place and i already went for a ride, its not leaking anymore, is it something i should worry about?

It sounds like your differential stub shaft is not properly spring-clipped on the front diff. but is properly pinned to your axle. The axle may be the only thing holding the stub shaft against the diff. When the stub shaft is separated from the diff. you will leak your diff. fluid. I would not recommend driving on it unless the clip is properly in place, the diff. is full w/ fluid, and not leaking.

As for it moving 1/2"~1" but not fully separating, that is because the axle is in place (i think) - if you remove the axle, it will probably not stay in place and you will empty the fluid [again].

i just had the same thing happen the other day when i was doing 2.5 phase one gaskets. i hed the car on the lift and it was manual trans so i put a jack stand under the trans to line everything back up and upon doing so i overstretched the axle and popped it out and didnt notice it till i tried to jump on it. just popped it back in and it was good to go. if you want to be safe, do as they said and pull the stub shaft out completely and see if the sur-clip is still there, most likely it will be. and yes you will get a little drippage of gear oil if this happens.

i see it didnt take long for you to want to get them in, how does it look? i will keep you posted on the cold weather mirrors too. good luck.