Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's the thermostat

A new thermo is like 5 bucks at napa.

See the big hose at the top of your radiator? Follow it back to the engine. Where it meets the intake manifold it connects with 2 bolt's. Just pop those bolts and swap in the new one. Make sure you have a gasket too, like a buck.

Good luck.

Get an OEM thermostat. They have much higher reliability, and last longer.

The thermostat is located on the front p/s of the engine. Follow the upper rad hose back to where it goes into a bulbous housing. Inside there is the thermostat. If its a turbo, you'll have a little plastic device on top with four screws connecting it. Leave it alone.

I went with fast reacting "stant" thermostat . It is smaller than oem-- "lasting longer" is not something I can say just yet.Did stop my yo-yo prob with the oem thermostat (absolutely refused to stay ambient at engine full warm), of course my OEM was 13 yrs old with miracle radiator goop stuck to it, so having a good OEM one may have been better choice.:-\

I went with fast reacting "stant" thermostat . It is smaller than oem-- "lasting longer" is not something I can say just yet.Did stop my yo-yo prob with the oem thermostat (absolutely refused to stay ambient at engine full warm), of course my OEM was 13 yrs old with miracle radiator goop stuck to it, so having a good OEM one may have been better choice.:-\

Was it a Stant Superstat? I used one made for an Oldsmobile 350 diesel (forget P/N) in one of my EA-82 wagons. That was 2-3 years ago. It stays temperature stable year-round.