Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why aren't my flashing lights flashing? (1998 Impreza)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matteedee315

matteedee315

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • New York City

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

So last night, I parked in front of the fire hydrant by my building for a quick run inside, and I left my hazard lights on. Also turned the parking lights on as well. So I get back and realize only the rear lights are flashing. Wierd, I think, guess I never noticed that they only work on the back. About fifteen minutes into my drive, however, I realized that not only are my turn signals not working but now my hazards won't, either. My ts switch was replaced by me about two months ago, and the rest of it works just fine (lights come on, hi beams ok, instr. panel brightness fine). So what's up?

A summary:

no lights that are supposed to flash (ie turn signal and hazard lights) will work at all. They don't light up and stay on, or blink irregularly. Just nothing.

They had been working up to 15 minutes prior to my discovery. The hazards and parking lights had been left on for ten minutes.

The turn signal switch works fine otherwise: headlights and hi beams operate perfectly and the dashboard brightness control works correctly.

I live in the Bronx, where everyone's rude to you unless you made an appointment to be there three weeks ago. I gotta drive this car and the wife gets sketched out by this kind of thing. Any ideas?

Thanks a bundle in advance,

Matt
matteedee315

#2 ctoth

ctoth

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Perkinsville

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

Try turning them on without turning the parking lights on too. Subaru parking light are a wierd creature.

#3 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Try turning them on without turning the parking lights on too. Subaru parking light are a wierd creature.

Does this make the questioner a 'semi-virgin'? :D

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,568 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

Check for any bad bulbs. The turn signals and the flasher use the same flasher. You may have a tired 4 way switch, or a bulb that is dimmer then the others, so when all 4 are on its causing a current imbalance and screwing things up (hows that for an explination)

nipper

#5 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,884 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

WARNING After you've sorted out the problem, take heed. I know da Bronx is da Bronx, but apparently you can not only get a ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant but apparently you can also be ticketed for improper use of flashers?. At least that's what the ticketing officer was kind enough to explain to me as he wrote only the one summons for me to which I replied, using my best "Queens" English, er... thank you kindly officer.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,568 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

I've learned with NYC tickets, just because they write it on the ticket does not mean the regulation really exists. They require research. The PVB will not tell you something doesnt exist even if you pay it, as they are there to take your money.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users