Ultimate Subaru Message Board

likely spots for coolant leaking?

well, i just did the waterpump on my GL, and its still leaking coolant like a bastard:banghead: . So i'm under the car last night taking off the front exhaust (so i can do my clutch) , looking at the bottom side of the heads. theres obviously been coolant burning off on them, along the line of the head gaskets. So how likely is it that im pumping coolant out thru two blown head gaskets? is that possible? theres nothing getting into the oil. the car's still running smooth and with the same power. or is coolant running down off the top of the engine and evaporating on the bottom side of the heads? GAWDAMMIT!

also any handy tips on replacing an ea82 clutch would be apreciated. god i wish i had a hoist.

Two other possible leak points:

1. Did you replace the rubber o-ring on the pipe that connects the water pump to the lower radiator hose? If you need to replace it, lube the o-ring with a little grease or oil to get it to slip into the water pump easier.

2. There are two little hoses on the intake manifold, one on each side, that transfers coolant from one side of the motor to the other. They may develop a leak. Replace these hoses with OEM ones from the dealer, or gas-line hose.

on the EA82's there is a little hose that runns from the intake towards the throttle body. if its leaking, water will most likeky run down the back of the head and do exactly what ur talkin about. its on the passenger side top of intake runner to the throttle body. check it out.

goddam, dude. the intake gaskets will cause coolant to leak? maybe thats a dumb question , but hey... i'm a dumb guy sometimes. I asked my HD mechanic friend about that (because i saw them bubble a bit one day) , and he put me off that idea, but i bet thats where its going. guess i better buy a weber carb if i gotta take off the intake manifold ANYWAY. :)

so, the final answers are.. the intake man. bolds on the dr side had loosened off considerably, AND the little satanic hose that runs up over the manifold to the base of the carb was leaking. So i tightened the bolts and replaced the hose , filled up the coolant sys. - took it for a test drive and it still heats up when i climb a steady hill. Going flat ground is ok. I see that i have the telltale white goo on the inside of my oil fill cap now, so im going to do a compression test tonite. But it doesnt seem to have lost any jam....

i suppose that intake man. gasket should be replaced now, instead of just tighten and go. could the coolant be getting into the oil sys thru that spot? or only into the combustion chamber...

hopefully somebody will check in on this thread. I'm trying to keep as few running as possible.

Coolant will not get into the oil if the manifold gaskets is leaking - it will just get burnt.

I'm assuming you have checked and flushed out your radiator?

You very well may have a bad head gasket. It's actually pretty common on the EA82 if it's been overheated. Most of the ones I've pulled out the gasket disintegrated in a small spot where the coolant passage runs about 1/4" from the combustion chamber. Last one I pulled apart it was on cylinder #4 near the rear bottom corner of the gasket. Compression test showed 150 on each cylinder.... the leak is small. Small enough to not make a white cloud, and small enough pass a simple compression test. But it will pressureize the cooling system with combustion gasses, and cause overheating under load.

Frankly, just diving in and doing the HG's and manifold gaskets will probably solve all your problems.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

ok ill keep posting in this thread because its relevant.

i was having trouble with my car heating up on hill climbs. itwas losing coolant before, but i fixed that with a new water pump and two new little hoses on top of the engine. i knew that my intake man gaskets were gone, but i was suspecting that my hg's were gone too. banking on it actually. I was prepped to do the hg's, but after i got the intake man off i got scared, and just replaced them and the the tstat, then put it all back together. i test drove it up my fav five mile hill, and it heated up again. but i had my grille off, and checked the rad at the top of the hill. (third check). i finally realised , feeling the rad from the front, that t he bottom 1/4 of the rad wasnt hot. so i threw in a new rad today and did the same test drive. no heat up. drove the sheeit out of it, 4500 rpm climbing much of the time. soooo... im still not sure that my hg's are ok, but the new rad has definitely bought me some more time.

i hate sube stock hose clamps. im replacing them all as i go with standard worm gear style clamps.

im convinced i need headgaskets, because im bubbling alot without overheating or even losing much coolant. BUT, dont forget that with the coolant system, there are ALOT of potential "one thing led to another" scenarios that so not involve headgaskets.. has the engine overheated or approached redzone? or did you keep it cooler than that? because a clogged radiator can help cause alot of stuff to blow, too... headgaskets arent the ONLY culprit there. I dont think that a clog of that proportion would drastically inhibit flow, but it will certainly inhibit amount of head shed by the radiator.

Me, i know ive blown two main radiator hoses, an unidentified seal with the water pump (never "found" a problem with it but it was leaking out of sight BAD) and now one heater hose, and ive already used the "replace the radiator" band-aid.. so I'm pretty sure. I just hope my heads are OK.