Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Speedo Stopped working CEL on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Palouse Rider

Palouse Rider

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

'98 Forester, threw 2 codes realated to the engine speed and I think the air sensor. My question is where is the sensor for the speedo? Somewhere around the tranny I would guess. Could be just the connector right?

Thanks in andvance:)

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

do a search here on speed sensor. There are some great pics as to where they are. Fix that one first.

nipper

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,005 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

I wouldn't wait too long on the speed sensor, as I think there's two of them, but if the AT loses both signals I think it just locks into second gear or something? Nipper probably knows for sure if this is the case. Sure you can still get home but it won't be fun if you have to go on the highway!

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

If you loose both you go in limp mode, and car is barely drivable at that pont. The tranny doesnt shift and basically stays in either 2nd or third gear. I forget since not many people hit this point. I know the max engine revs drop down to 5000 rpm or about there. You loose one you just loose the awd.

nipper

#5 Palouse Rider

Palouse Rider

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a standard transmission. The car runs like crap, stalls, and the speedo is out.

#6 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a standard transmission. The car runs like crap, stalls, and the speedo is out.

Does the car stall and run like crap when parked in neutral? I don't quite know how the sensor would affect the engine's running when you're not at speed. If it won't run at idle, I'd look for the simple things like broken/cracked vacuum line or hose, dirty air filter, etc. first before I get too deep into troubleshooting this. KISS applies here until proven otherwise. Having any CEL codes?

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

Does the car stall and run like crap when parked in neutral? I don't quite know how the sensor would affect the engine's running when you're not at speed. If it won't run at idle, I'd look for the simple things like broken/cracked vacuum line or hose, dirty air filter, etc. first before I get too deep into troubleshooting this. KISS applies here until proven otherwise. Having any CEL codes?

still either way he needs to replace the spedo sensor, as that can be having a big part in the problem.

#8 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

still either way he needs to replace the spedo sensor, as that can be having a big part in the problem.

I didn't say he shouldn't replace the speedo sensor; but if the car runs okay at 0 mph, then the sensor may be the only problem. But if the car runs like crap at 0 mph and stalls, there are other problems that might need to be addressed that are possibly more simple than wildly replacing sensors.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

I didn't say he shouldn't replace the speedo sensor; but if the car runs okay at 0 mph, then the sensor may be the only problem. But if the car runs like crap at 0 mph and stalls, there are other problems that might need to be addressed that are possibly more simple than wildly replacing sensors.

Without the spedo sensor, the car has no idea how fast its going, its in limp mode.
In order to test anything, you need to get the car out of limp mode. This is a important sensor, and one that can be "wildly" replaced. No where did I suggest anything more then replacing the spedo sensor. Its like trying to figure out why the tranny wont work when there is no engine, or the alighnment when the car has 4 flats. There are some things that need to be fixed first.
You say you dont know how the sensor affects the car, well in this case I do. No spedo sensor puts the car in limp mode. That limits the cars performance and driveability. If he had something that was borderline in normal operation, the limp mode could have put it over the edge to give him the problems he is seeing.

nipper

#10 Palouse Rider

Palouse Rider

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

Thanks guys, the car throws 2 codes. I don't remember now but i know one is for the speed sensor and the other I think is for the airflow sensor. I can't get to work on the car until Monday, I'll let you know what I find then....:burnout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users