Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I wouldn't wait too long on the speed sensor, as I think there's two of them, but if the AT loses both signals I think it just locks into second gear or something? Nipper probably knows for sure if this is the case. Sure you can still get home but it won't be fun if you have to go on the highway!

If you loose both you go in limp mode, and car is barely drivable at that pont. The tranny doesnt shift and basically stays in either 2nd or third gear. I forget since not many people hit this point. I know the max engine revs drop down to 5000 rpm or about there. You loose one you just loose the awd.

nipper

Thanks for the info. I have a standard transmission. The car runs like crap, stalls, and the speedo is out.
Does the car stall and run like crap when parked in neutral? I don't quite know how the sensor would affect the engine's running when you're not at speed. If it won't run at idle, I'd look for the simple things like broken/cracked vacuum line or hose, dirty air filter, etc. first before I get too deep into troubleshooting this. KISS applies here until proven otherwise. Having any CEL codes?

Does the car stall and run like crap when parked in neutral? I don't quite know how the sensor would affect the engine's running when you're not at speed. If it won't run at idle, I'd look for the simple things like broken/cracked vacuum line or hose, dirty air filter, etc. first before I get too deep into troubleshooting this. KISS applies here until proven otherwise. Having any CEL codes?

still either way he needs to replace the spedo sensor, as that can be having a big part in the problem.

still either way he needs to replace the spedo sensor, as that can be having a big part in the problem.
I didn't say he shouldn't replace the speedo sensor; but if the car runs okay at 0 mph, then the sensor may be the only problem. But if the car runs like crap at 0 mph and stalls, there are other problems that might need to be addressed that are possibly more simple than wildly replacing sensors.

I didn't say he shouldn't replace the speedo sensor; but if the car runs okay at 0 mph, then the sensor may be the only problem. But if the car runs like crap at 0 mph and stalls, there are other problems that might need to be addressed that are possibly more simple than wildly replacing sensors.

Without the spedo sensor, the car has no idea how fast its going, its in limp mode.

In order to test anything, you need to get the car out of limp mode. This is a important sensor, and one that can be "wildly" replaced. No where did I suggest anything more then replacing the spedo sensor. Its like trying to figure out why the tranny wont work when there is no engine, or the alighnment when the car has 4 flats. There are some things that need to be fixed first.

You say you dont know how the sensor affects the car, well in this case I do. No spedo sensor puts the car in limp mode. That limits the cars performance and driveability. If he had something that was borderline in normal operation, the limp mode could have put it over the edge to give him the problems he is seeing.

nipper