Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rubbing squeaky sound when turning steering wheel '96 Legacy

A couple months ago a rubbing sort of squeaky/whirring sound started when the I turn the steering wheel in my '96 Legacy. It sounds a lot like maybe a rope being pulled over a log. Doesn't seem to (yet) be causing any problems, but it didn't used to do that. Anything to be concerned about (yet)? No airbag lights on or anything like that.

Anywho...could that maybe be the clockspring getting ready to retire?

If I look in there by the turn signal lever, I can see some yellowish grease down in there. Is that normal? (confirmed by sticking pinky finger in there-yep it's grease). I think I can see the clockspring down in there which does seem to be the general vicinity of the whirring/squeaking sound.

I don't see anything down in there that looks to be obstructing or that fell in there or anything. Thanks!

First check to make sure there is no plastic in the wheel wells rubbing against the tire. Next check the PS fluid is full and the drive belt is tight. Next chek the universal joint in the steering shaft to make sure that is not worn.

nipper

Great thanks for the info guys. I'll check all that stuff out. Actually I have four new strut mounts but I haven't put them in yet. I'll be doing the front brakes on this thing in a couple months so I'll make sure to lube up those pins good. I just got a gallon of kanolabs lubricone so I'll shoot some of that up into the steering column.

I think I didn't explain the sound very well though. The sound is definitely coming from the steering column itself right inside the vehicle. It sounds a lot like that rubbing/squeaking sound made when cleaning glass with paper towels and glass cleaner actually. If I put my ear near the steering column it sounds like it's coming from right around the plane of the turn signal lever, which I think I can see the clockspring looking down in there. Thanks again! :)

Actually the checking for plastic in the wheel wells reminds me that at least on the drivers side I have no plastic :) I bumped a curb and it must have pushed that plastic thing against the wheel, after I pulled out on hiway I heard this loud rubbing sound so I went to pull over and that whole plastic wheel well thing got ripped out and was laying in the road. I stopped and picked it up but didn't put it back in yet..... :)

• 3 years later...

hey buddy, how are you?

I have a 98 subaru outback and I have the same problem that you had, my steering wheel is making the rubber noise, when turning. First my steering wheel become hard just in 20% of steering. These problem occurs for 3 weeks, after that, the steering bocome normal again and 2 days ago, becomes these rubber noise. How do you fixed you car? What it was making theese noise?

Hello and welcome to the site. I never actually did fix mine. It still makes this sound when turning the wheel, kind of like the swooshing sound George's pants made during his interview on that Seinfeld episode. I had hosed the area down with silicone spray and it seemed to help some. I do not feel the wheel getting harder or easier to turn at all though like you are describing. I am thinking my sounds is the clockspring.

I have the same noises your talking about on my taurus. Took it to the suspension shop and they said bearing plate on strut is bad. So there you go. Buy 2 new quickstrut assemblys and be done with it.

:)

Thats what I was going to suggest next.

nipper

• 9 months later...

Sometimes cold is cold and cars will squeek. I lubed mine with white lithim grease (the universal joint).

Now if the car is old enough, chek the rack, the inner and outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. The sound may be traveleing and be someplace else in origin.

My '96 Legacy swooshing sound in the steering wheel subsided some time back. I don't know if it was the silicone spray or not. In retrospect I would not spray silicone in there again, at least not the type I used. I have noticed the spray degrades some types of plastic. So hopefully it isn't eating away my clockspring's insulation.

• 3 years later...