Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been told, I haven't seen for myself, that besides the EJ22T, all WRX engines have them. I'm going to be tearing down an EJ20G (Legacy RS engine) for spare parts and will look, but since it is not a WRX version of this engine, I doubt it will have them.

I'm such a noob that when I signed on to the forum one question I asked was about general engine layou/design info/exploded drawings. The site I was sent ot had a PDF download of some FHI technical 'bragging' that included a lot of drawings and design philosophy stuff. It does show the piston cooling jets. This document was from '89 and refered mostly to the 1.8,2.0 turbo and 2.2l (I think that's right - don't have it here) and mentions the DOHC and SOHC engines as well. Quite possible the drawing I saw was not generic and only one engine has the jets, but they were there back then.

wonder if they could be adapted for use on the older EA engines.

Another solution, which I mentioned in another post (old gen forum), is to rifle-drill the con rods and have oil squit from the top of the connecting rod, like a detroit-diesel two stroke.

Now that's a pesky engine! But not for it's cool connecting rods.

Not to drift the topic too much, but a detroit has to be the coolest sounding engine I can think of. I love to hear a skilled driver beat the crap out of a detroit. For a truck diesel they like to rev. BWAAHHHHHHHHHH........BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Oh hell yeah. I rebuilt one once, and I adjusted something in the governor wrong, and when I started it, it went wide open. I panicked, cut the fuel off at the tank, calmed down, then realised what I had done. I had to crawl on top of this screaming engine and loosen this locknut and back a screw out, and she shut off. This was in an armored personnel carrier, luckily I had left the transfer case disengaged, so the big suction fan's belts weren't turning.

You gain a lot of respect for them after that. After that incident, I considered it broken in:headbang:

Yes Lucky, the EJ20G ( the turbo) was available in Japan in 1989. I installed an 89 JDM Legacy EJ20G into UltimateRX and stated that since both were available in 89 that Subaru could have built that configuration, but they didn't.

I just remember, I replace the 89 in UltimateRX with a 92 Legacy EJ20G, so the engine that I'm going to tear down is the 89.

Dr. RX, what ever came out of the "UltimateRX"? Did you ever get it running for who ever bought it? I don't really have anything to add to the thread, but wanted to know and didn't really think it permeted a thread of it's own

Well, now that the site is back up of course I'm at home again and the document is at work. It's a SAE technical paper, number 890-somethin and it seems the text and drawing on page 6 indicate oil coling nozzles are on the turbo only. They are timed with the journal holes to reduce big fluctuations in oil pressure. sorry for any confusion.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

I have been told, I haven't seen for myself, that besides the EJ22T, all WRX engines have them. I'm going to be tearing down an EJ20G (Legacy RS engine) for spare parts and will look, but since it is not a WRX version of this engine, I doubt it will have them.

IIRC the EJ20G does have the squirters too.