Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

waterproofing an underhood ECU?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:02 AM

I am nearing completion of my EJ22 swap.
I am considering mounting the ECU under the hood, for simplicity's sake. This will also leave the car closer to stock in case it ever needs an EA82 again as well as make it easier to pull codes.

I am interested in what others have done to waterproof their ECUs when located under the hood.
So far I've found GSI's waterproof Lexan boxes (bottom of the page; #73510 Large just needs a couple of holes drilled and RTV'ed by the looks of it) and even though they're here in SpoVegas, and even though it seems about perfect, you all know me well enough to know that I'm going to ask for other ideas anyway. Whatcha got? :brow:

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

Coffee can. Fill with epoxy:cool:
Make a hole in the side so you can see the light.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

if you truly want to waterproof it, and are feeling brave, move it into the car. Will require alot of soldering. The other choice is a water proof box. People who use sooby engines in conversions do both.

nipper

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

I don't mind soldering but I'm not yanking all of the old wiring, and I don't want to drill new holes in the firewall.

#5 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

Just keep in mind there are chips in the ECU that get hot, so completely sealing the ecu off for an ECU that isn't sealed from the factory isn't a good idea..

#6 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 753 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

It may already be quite waterproof. ECU's are often epoxy potted from the factory. Have a look inside to see it it is.

If it isn't, DON"T JUST POUR IN THE EPOXY! Use a box. Heat build-up will kill it. In fact, just putting it in a new enclosure could give you heat problems, so be aware of this when you do it.

#7 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

how about cutting out some fire wall and putting a box on the outside. a box u made or bought.kinda like an extension? i dunno just thinkin

:-\

#8 Carmen

Carmen

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • san pedro sula, Honduras

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

my dad did that about one year ago in a volkswaon, it was diesel and the owner ask dad to swap its burnt diesel engine for an efi gasoline, same brand.

the problem with in the hood ecu is that the heat of the engine, and the hood when parking in sunny days, get it too hot and it damaged two times.

now dad is working in put it inside the car, in the glovebox, this is the 3 ecu module it puts on thge car.

i think that is bad idea. tri to install it inside, is better idea

#9 Buddy

Buddy

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you"

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Stockton, CA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

my dad did that about one year ago in a volkswaon, it was diesel and the owner ask dad to swap its burnt diesel engine for an efi gasoline, same brand.

the problem with in the hood ecu is that the heat of the engine, and the hood when parking in sunny days, get it too hot and it damaged two times.

now dad is working in put it inside the car, in the glovebox, this is the 3 ecu module it puts on thge car.

i think that is bad idea. tri to install it inside, is better idea

hey welcome back Carmen!!! :)

#10 Carmen

Carmen

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

:)

#11 Buddy

Buddy

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you"

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Stockton, CA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

:)

you're welcome!!!

Later!!!

#12 Carmen

Carmen

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

thank you. i was doing school "things" that dont left me any spare time..

#13 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Allright, you guys win *grumble* ;) I'll put it under the dash where it belongs.

#14 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

no way. u didnt like my idea? it would be in the car but on the fire wall and the wire built around it? ooor maybe another idea is in the wiper cowl with some moding to it.

#15 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

Just keep in mind there are chips in the ECU that get hot, so completely sealing the ecu off for an ECU that isn't sealed from the factory isn't a good idea..

case it in aluminum sheet with silicone inbetween thin layer -- I bet it stays cooler than in the car :)

#16 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

There is a reason they are mounted IN the car. MFG would love to have them under the hood and free up dash room if they could, but they cant. Inside the car is dry, weatherproof, and has a fairly easy to manage temperiture range, where as under the hood you have none of that. Also the unit is near high voltage where emf can affect it.

nipper

#17 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, I agree about the heat as the main factor.
I took a look at everything last night and it looks like the worst part will be securely mounting the ECU to the steering column, as the mounts are different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users