Ultimate Subaru Message Board

waterproofing an underhood ECU?

I am nearing completion of my EJ22 swap.

I am considering mounting the ECU under the hood, for simplicity's sake. This will also leave the car closer to stock in case it ever needs an EA82 again as well as make it easier to pull codes.

I am interested in what others have done to waterproof their ECUs when located under the hood.

So far I've found GSI's waterproof Lexan boxes (bottom of the page; #73510 Large just needs a couple of holes drilled and RTV'ed by the looks of it) and even though they're here in SpoVegas, and even though it seems about perfect, you all know me well enough to know that I'm going to ask for other ideas anyway. Whatcha got? :brow:

It may already be quite waterproof. ECU's are often epoxy potted from the factory. Have a look inside to see it it is.

If it isn't, DON"T JUST POUR IN THE EPOXY! Use a box. Heat build-up will kill it. In fact, just putting it in a new enclosure could give you heat problems, so be aware of this when you do it.

my dad did that about one year ago in a volkswaon, it was diesel and the owner ask dad to swap its burnt diesel engine for an efi gasoline, same brand.

the problem with in the hood ecu is that the heat of the engine, and the hood when parking in sunny days, get it too hot and it damaged two times.

now dad is working in put it inside the car, in the glovebox, this is the 3 ecu module it puts on thge car.

i think that is bad idea. tri to install it inside, is better idea

my dad did that about one year ago in a volkswaon, it was diesel and the owner ask dad to swap its burnt diesel engine for an efi gasoline, same brand.

the problem with in the hood ecu is that the heat of the engine, and the hood when parking in sunny days, get it too hot and it damaged two times.

now dad is working in put it inside the car, in the glovebox, this is the 3 ecu module it puts on thge car.

i think that is bad idea. tri to install it inside, is better idea

hey welcome back Carmen!!! :)

Just keep in mind there are chips in the ECU that get hot, so completely sealing the ecu off for an ECU that isn't sealed from the factory isn't a good idea..

case it in aluminum sheet with silicone inbetween thin layer -- I bet it stays cooler than in the car :)

There is a reason they are mounted IN the car. MFG would love to have them under the hood and free up dash room if they could, but they cant. Inside the car is dry, weatherproof, and has a fairly easy to manage temperiture range, where as under the hood you have none of that. Also the unit is near high voltage where emf can affect it.

nipper