Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

engine stabilizer rod and vibrations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Geraldton, West Australia

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

how important is the engine stabilizer rod? also, since I lifted the car I can feel some mild but high frequency vibrations when I get to 60km/h. I don't think it's the wheels. I'm still running on stock wheels. any ideas what it might be?

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

Well, it helps keep the engine from moving when you give it gas and shift. Every time you do, the torque wants to twist the engine. It also keeps the fan from going into the radiator.
The vibes are from changing the dynamics of the suspension and driveline.

Everything has a different angle now with the lift in. Also, when you installed the lift, you most likely disconnected the driveline. Unless you marked it, it probably isnt in the same location is was before. You can try turning the shaft 180deg on the rear yoke to see if that helps some.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

the vibration could easily be your u-joints. I had this problem, no noticable vibration pre-lift. lots of vibration after the lift. when I had the tranny out to do a clutch a few months later, I noticed that the ujoints were pretty much seized....replaced the driveline (thank goodness for parts cars!!), and it went away.

#4 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:05 AM

sorry, but I'm not sure I know what drive line is. do you mean driveshuft? if you do then no, I didn't disconnect it. and don't under stand why there should be any changes in angles. it's a body lift, it shouldn't change any angles.
when I think about it, the angles of the driveshuft do change becuase I used 2" blocks for the driveshuft and the gear, when the rest of the lift is 3". do you think this might be the problem?

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

sorry, but I'm not sure I know what drive line is. do you mean driveshuft? if you do then no, I didn't disconnect it. and don't under stand why there should be any changes in angles. it's a body lift, it shouldn't change any angles.
when I think about it, the angles of the driveshuft do change becuase I used 2" blocks for the driveshuft and the gear, when the rest of the lift is 3". do you think this might be the problem?

yes, we do mean driveshaft. first off, what lift are you running?

but yes, there's a little more angle on the driveshaft joints than there are stock. nothing a good ujoint can't handle, but if the joints on the way out. this'll kill it.

#6 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

...there's a little more angle on the driveshaft joints than there are stock. nothing a good ujoint can't handle...

U-joints, like any mechanical part, gets a wear pattern after awhile. With the Subaru's IRS, the driveshaft angle remains almost constant (doesn't have to deal with rear axle going up and down), so the maximum deflection of the u-joint hasn't changed in a few 100000Km. Now it is asked to deflect a little more, and this *can* introduce issues.

I am not saying that I think that this is your problem, but it certainly might be.

#7 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

U-joints, like any mechanical part, gets a wear pattern after awhile. With the Subaru's IRS, the driveshaft angle remains almost constant (doesn't have to deal with rear axle going up and down), so the maximum deflection of the u-joint hasn't changed in a few 100000Km. Now it is asked to deflect a little more, and this *can* introduce issues.

I am not saying that I think that this is your problem, but it certainly might be.

exactly! well put :banana:

#8 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

I'm running 3" hi rise lift.
cheers guys

#9 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

I'm running 3" hi rise lift.
cheers guys

byb?

#10 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:29 AM

YEAH check the tailshaft.likes been said it is now at a different angle as the box is tucked up by bout an inch.had a seized uni and you get a bit of vibe. pulled it and you couldn,t move it.seen a pic of your lift in and the rear sus crossmember had 2 blocks missing an the plate mounted on top instead of below could it be moving around as its only supported by one bolt.

#11 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

YEAH check the tailshaft.likes been said it is now at a different angle as the box is tucked up by bout an inch.had a seized uni and you get a bit of vibe. pulled it and you couldn,t move it.seen a pic of your lift in and the rear sus crossmember had 2 blocks missing an the plate mounted on top instead of below could it be moving around as its only supported by one bolt.

the lift is not byb, it's: http://www.funonwhee.../pages/home.htm
the plate should go on top according to the instructions and the block is not turning around. this is how I put it.
is there a way to fix the driveshuft or do I have to replace it?

#12 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

non replacable uni,s just go to wreckers and look for a low km one.or a driveline shop can machine out and put in replacable uni's last time i priced it was about $400.interesting point about the plate can't say i,ve seen it done like that before i thought it needed the support from the 3 bolts.Got a mate who has a 2" hi rise kit and its just like the byb.

#13 esh

esh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:02 AM

I just re-drilled the mount of the stabilizer rod about 1 cm rear to the original hole. it fitted perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users