Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 Legacy Wagon and a 96 Legacy Wagon.

Should I buy a 99 Impreza Outback Sport Green for my daughter's first car - it has about 125K miles?

Or a 98 Legacy Sedan White which has about the same mileage?

Each about $5K, probably less for cash.

Gil - Allegany, in Buffalo Lake Effect snowbelt.

Well i beleive the torque bind issue was solved as off pre 97 mid so dont need to worry about that, although the solenoid can still die. Do they both run very very well? And if they are the same price just 1 year apart maybe a legacy would be better just because its a larger vehicle. And make sure to go a carfax.com report on these vehicles to make sure theres nothing hidden. Also check the transmission to see if its low on oil or if its brown or smells burnt the oil, because i heard that if it goes low screws up clutches and if its burnt the clutchs got very hot and it burns the oil. Just little precautions. Make sure he has a history report on oil changes, check to see if the timing belt has been dont as well, and are we talking about a 2.2l engine or 2.5?

Hi Gil! If both vehicles check out good, I'd go for the 98 Legacy Sedan. Plenty of room to store winter emergency items, plus in a real emergency you can sleep in the back. Nothing like them Subaru's for these Buffalo winters! Too bad the salt is so rough.

Like you couldn't sleep in the back of an OBS? What else are fold down rear seats in a wagon good for? :-p I just bought a '97 OBS myself and I really like the car; it should also get a bit better fuel economy than the heavier Legacy, right?

I have a 99 Legacy Wagon and a 96 Legacy Wagon.

Should I buy a 99 Impreza Outback Sport Green for my daughter's first car - it has about 125K miles?

Or a 98 Legacy Sedan White which has about the same mileage?

Each about $5K, probably less for cash.

Gil - Allegany, in Buffalo Lake Effect snowbelt.

2.2L are basically bullitprrof. Check the condition of the tranny fluid, make sure all the tires match, and do some tight u turns to make sure there is no TB.

TB can happen after 1997 1/2, but that is usually from owner error (driving on a flat, mismatched tires).

Either car is good, but i would go with the Imprezza since it will get better gas mileage.

nipper

Good point moodybluser, I changed my mind and would go with the OBS. For some reason I glanced over the 'sedan', I prefer the wagons for more space! And good point nipper surely good gas mileage is great for anyone esp. college students :) The wagon is so great for hauling stuff, and even fitting like hot water tanks and dryers or what have you.

i see they both have the 2.2, make sure that legacy doesn't have a 2.5.

if it were my daughter and the car is going to be used in any urban areas or places where theft is a concern the Legacy Sedan would be my choice. my wife has an OBS and it's an awesome car, but it's annoying taking that car some places because everything in the car is easily accessible by would be thieves. a sedan provides a trunk space and more security in my oppinion.

the OBS is awesome, we can fit 2 bikes inside of ours if we want to go for a ride. lots of room for traveling and carrying weird items. a very functional vehicle and my wife loves it. i would look at her hobbies, habits, recreation and choose the one that best serves those activities. i'd also look at both vehicles and compare the history on them.

if one was from a dealer (no known history) and the other was from a private owner with all the service records i would definitely take the one with service records. which brings up the next point....do a carfax on both vehicles. less owners is better. make sure there are no accidents or past claims against both. i've owned about 15 subaru's and there is no doubt in my mind that well cared for vehicles are much more reliable than multiple owner cars with no known service history.

be prepared to spend another chunk of change on a timing belt if they can't prove that it's been done recently (or if you can't do it yourself) if it's time. these are interference engines, if the timing belts breaks it can cause severe engine damage. i always change any 1997 and up subaru i get if i don't know for sure it was changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested the Impreza but it was real noisy somewhere in the rear and the engine was rough. Also it required tremendous force to move the shift lever. I am sure it was just what I wanted if it had been in decent order, but this one was the worst condition car I have ever driven.

I am looking again at the 98 Sedan but would prefer a wagon with roof bars.

Why would the shift lever have been so stiff?

Gil

be prepared to spend another chunk of change on a timing belt if they can't prove that it's been done recently (or if you can't do it yourself) if it's time. these are interference engines, if the timing belts breaks it can cause severe engine damage. i always change any 1997 and up subaru i get if i don't know for sure it was changed.
I second that (i.e. timing belt change). Since both cars are interference heads, timing belt is definitely overdue if it wasn't done recently. Also, with this mileage, water pump should be changed since it's unlikely to last until the next timing belt replacement.

I tested the Impreza but it was real noisy somewhere in the rear and the engine was rough. Also it required tremendous force to move the shift lever. I am sure it was just what I wanted if it had been in decent order, but this one was the worst condition car I have ever driven.

I am looking again at the 98 Sedan but would prefer a wagon with roof bars.

Why would the shift lever have been so stiff?

Gil

COUld have been a tired clutch with a bad throw out bearing and worn bushings.

nipper