Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back home at last

Finally !!! The Brat is back from the paint shop.:banana: I know a lot of you have done this many many times, but it's my FIRST time so be gentle with me please:grin: I'm all aflutter over the whole thing, and I had to share with someone, so you guys are it. Now comes the fun of putting it all back together. Anyway, have a look.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12403&limit=recent

Thanks everyone! ;) It's not the best body and paint job, but she looks good in pictures:lol: I painted her white because that was the original color (Cotton White #63), and I tried to get as close to that without having to pay a fortune for paint matching and whatever...

Sorry I don't know everyone's "real" names yet, so...

75Subie: Yes I had thought that black stripes would be good. But the interior is blue, so I'm still not sure on the color. But I have purchased black seat covers (couldn't find any blue ones I liked) to keep the seats in the shape they are in, and I'll probably get a black dash mat because the dash is in really sad shape. What, you're not surprised????? And I'm also going to do that black Rhino-liner stuff in the bed.

So, the question is, black or blue stripes??? Or do I put the Pink Panther Paw Prints down the side for pin striping like I originally intended, (I really like the Pink Panther), or do I just want the BRAT letters like McBrat makes and have the pinstripes painted on? There's a guy here locally that does awesome painted pin striping. And he's a friend of my boyfriend's so I'll probly get a good deal on it. What do you guys think?:confused:

Bryan: Yes, I do want to keep it as stock as possible, with maybe a few extra little things. :brow:

Moosens: A very special thanks to you. I have been trying to think of an appropriate name for the little gal, and you just gave it to me. She will officially and forever be christened, "THE MARSHMALLOW". :clap:

Anyway, thanks again for all the "atta girls", and I'll keep posting pics as I go along. I got all the lights back on last night, working on the grill and bumpers tonight. "Slow and steady wins the race" said the Tortoise to the Hare.

Cheers everyone:burnout:

You're very welcome for the tag.I was hoping it didn't offend you at all,so thanks for accepting it so kindly.

Nice effort,and never mind about perfect restorations.You're keeping that particular body style on the road,that is the best you can do within reason.To spend what it takes to make it a perfect restoration would be insane.I've seen people poor money you can't imagine into things like an Alfa Romeo GTV6 and the work costs about 5-10 times the value of the car-IF-you can find a buyer purchasing at top level.Good job of keeping your head on your shoulders,and keeping a realistic time frame.

Marshmallows don't have stripes....but if you were to stripe it I'd say go blue and match the interior.

And,I'm Paul :)

Cheers!

Be sure to fill out a post of desires in the "Wish List" thread.

Please consider printing it and helpng others within the community as you can.We'll do the same.I take that thread seriously so whatever you post I'll print out and help you out as I can.

Looks awesome! It stopped my heart for a second! This is what my original BRAT "back in the day" looked like:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2728&cat=500&ppuser=5798

For keeping it stock, I believe Todd has a source for the multicolored stripe. Mine also had blue interior with steel wheels. Quirky color combination... but weren't they all a little off on the color coordination??

I have a Gen2 that came with blue seat covers, I'll see if there's a tag for the maker on them. It matches the blue perfect!

Keep at it! It's a hobby, not a race :)

Be sure to fill out a post of desires in the "Wish List" thread.

Please consider printing it and helpng others within the community as you can.We'll do the same.I take that thread seriously so whatever you post I'll print out and help you out as I can.

I'm not sure what else I could put on her. I have a roll bar, A-bar, jump seats, wagon wheels,and all the chrome trim (which I don't think I'll put the side pieces back on, just the bed trim). I may be persuaded to sell what I don't use if anyone is interested.;) It's in fairly good shape as far as I can tell.

One of the side view mirrors has a little peeling on the base, and the dash is a wreck, the ashtray lid is cracked (s'ko should have one of those for me), but other than that, I think she's pretty much complete.

I was thinking I might stripe it to kinda take your eyes away from the little dings and hoozits that I didn't get filled in all the way. My nephew and I did the best we could, but we're no experts by any means:eek:

Again, thanks for the pats on the back, and now I'm off to get the grill cleaned up and put back in, and get the bed rhino-liner done.:headbang:

i vote for a blue stripe, just a double pin stripe or something that runs along the upper body line of the truck. i think it will look great. its nice to see the progress made on this resto.

what color are the wagon wheels?

I was thinking the same thing about the upper body line. Just to break up all the white a little too. I'm leaning more towards blue as I get more opinions.

The wheels have been blasted and powder coated white. So now I have 5 "steelies" I think you call them (the original wheels anyway) and the wagon wheels.

Barb,

Those blue seat covers came from Saddleman, Inc. Logan, Utah.

Now, I also noticed on the Brat that it has the Brat side decals and two thin pinstripes a half inch apart that go to the front and rear and end in a point. > It would look sharp in blue on the white.

Barb,

Those blue seat covers came from Saddleman, Inc. Logan, Utah.

Now, I also noticed on the Brat that it has the Brat side decals and two thin pinstripes a half inch apart that go to the front and rear and end in a point. > It would look sharp in blue on the white.

Thanks Mary, I'll check out that seat cover company. I actually looked at some "saddleblanket" type seat covers, but the only blue they had was a strange sort of baby/green blue that wasn't very appealing.

Where did you see the picture of the Brat with the stripes like you mentioned? I'd like to see that:) I'll check the brochures and see what I can see also. Bobby

Thanks Mary, I'll check out that seat cover company. I actually looked at some "saddleblanket" type seat covers, but the only blue they had was a strange sort of baby/green blue that wasn't very appealing.

Where did you see the picture of the Brat with the stripes like you mentioned? I'd like to see that:) I'll check the brochures and see what I can see also. Bobby

This is a shot of the '84 that I have with the pinstripe going forward off the BRAT decal. Just imagine the stripe going backward too.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9561&cat=798

The seat covers from Saddleman in Utah are solid blue not plaid, and the blue is a great match for the dash.

So, the question is, black or blue stripes??? Or do I put the Pink Panther Paw Prints down the side for pin striping like I originally intended, (I really like the Pink Panther) ...

YES! THE PINK PANTHER PAWS!!! :headbang:i love the pinkpanther too :banana:

This is a shot of the '84 that I have with the pinstripe going forward off the BRAT decal. Just imagine the stripe going backward too.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9561&cat=798

The seat covers from Saddleman in Utah are solid blue not plaid, and the blue is a great match for the dash.

I like that stripe idea. It's not tooooo, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the picture. I'm going to check out the Saddleman place as soon as I can also. Thanks for your input. Bobby

A couple pics of the latest progress.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12461&cat=500&ppuser=19374

Took the Marshmallow to the carb Dr. today. It's amazing what someone witha little know how and the right tools can do. She's running smooth, no coughing and spitting on startup, no hesitition on take-off, and I can even run the A/C without her dying at the stop light. I can tell she feels a whole bunch better. Now, I feel like I deserve a beer........:drunk: And then back to the re-assembly fun....:banana:

• 4 weeks later...

hey, just a thought on your Mallow..... If you're going to do the spray in bed liner, may i suggest going to Line-x and having it done? they are fair priced and AWESOME.... http://www.linex.com ....... PLUS, with a little sweet talk, they will spray the dash for you as well, so instead of a liner, you can have a crack free dash.... i dont know if they have a blue liner spray, but it would be worth looking into.... :confused: