Ultimate Subaru Message Board

185/80 tire suggestions?

I am looking for a good kind of 185/80/r13 tire, I would like a nice, cheap (under $65) snow tire and also a good all weather road tire in the same size and cost, anybody have some suggestions?

also does anybody have a pic of a brat with 185/80's and a 4" lift? I want to see how it looks.

i've used that size tire for years, but i've never been able to find a snow tread. only all weather. and i don't have a good one to recomend. i get tires at a junkyard cause my car handles like rump roast and eats rubber no matter what i put on it. PLEASE let me know if you find that size w/ a snow tread. i would definately buy them.

Originally posted by snowstormer

cooper tire makes a 185/80/r13. they have a snow tire that is fairly aggresive. i think it is called the weathermaster st or something like that. i think the website is http://www.coopertire.com

Yep...go HERE and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. Cooper sells these tires in that size:

wmst2.jpg

Also check out the Kumho ECSTA 700 at http://www.tirerack.com. They are $62 Rally tires and come in 165/80QR13. LINK

ku_r700.jpg

i just put a set on my wifes 91 4wd loyale. got them for $50 each including mounting and balancing at the local cooper dealer.she has only put about 300 miles on them. i have heard from a few local people that they are excellent in the snow.

we got about 3" 2 days ago, wet and slushy, and they seemed ok, although 3" is not enough to tell, you need a least a foot to tell if a tire is any good!

i have no idea how long they hold up treadwise, but for $50 each i figured i would give them a shot.

Damn, at 50 bucks those tires are mine.

they are a total of 24.8 inches in Diameter, how much rubbing will I get?

Somepeople said that 185/80's will fit under the hood? whats all of you guy's opinions on that?

Originally posted by the sucker king

cool...... so has anyone used those coopers (in any size)?

I have the older Cooper Wintermaster in that size ( I think ) on my XT.

The same mold is available from Vulcan Tire or Tire Rack. They look like this:

su_wintermaster_plus.jpg

When I put these on, I liked them so much I talked a friend into putting them on his Volvo sedan. The day we went to get them it snowed 10 inches. I tossed him the keys to my XT Turbo 4wd and hung on. We'd stop at a red light next to a camaro, or even 4x4 pickup and on green, he'd just FLOOR IT. We'd accelerate like it was the 4th of July ! :banana:

Incredible.

For a _snow_ tire, this kind of tread pattern is hard to beat.

John Wilke

Milwaukee

I personally have used the Firestone Winterfire tire in that size (185/80/13) on my last Brat. Those tires were amazing!

Has anyone tried those Wal-mart tires...I think they're called Douglas Xtra-Trac? They come in the 185/80/13 size and they only cost $28.33 per tire. They have a 40,000 mile warranty and the tread looks decent.

Originally posted by AKIRA

Damn, at 50 bucks those tires are mine.

they are a total of 24.8 inches in Diameter, how much rubbing will I get?

Somepeople said that 185/80's will fit under the hood?

i thought i measured them out as much smaller. no rubbing on a hatch at all. even off road. never tried to stick it under the hood.

thanks for the testimonial, biff, i'll give them a shot.