Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel cutoff question

ive got an 87 turbowagon w/ hot wire maf and am putting an intercooler and blowoff valve on it. I am planning on "fooling" the wastegate by adding springs to it to get the boost up to 11-13 psi. i was wondering what the easiest way to get the boost while avoiding the fuel cut off dilemna. I searched past posts but couldnt find a general consensus.

LOL Caleb, xforxlifex Basically Right now Noone(that i know of) has an Effective way of bypassing it, Im Running My Car at 12-13psi and i rarely hit the fuel cut.

Once I get the tranny in my car im hoping to do some R&D and try to come up with my own way of bypassing the fuel cut, Sorry that there isent much help as of yet but your not the only one waiting for some answers.

Off Topic: Caleb i Finished your MBC I Will Send it Out Tomorrow Morning Before i goto work :D:burnout::drunk:

The HKS is the Same thing that Other People have done and ive read about people using that also, but not getting efficent or effective results, the subarus just dont agree with having this system bypassed, this is one system designed by subaru that they dident want us to get around, but i say give it a try and let us know what kind of results that you get.

I have an intercooler W/ down pipe and a bypass (not a blow off) valve. without altering stock boost settings I have had significant gains in power with these mods alone. It does over boost sometimes when I wind it out but it just makes it go faster I hit over 15 LBS sometimes with no fuel cut. mabey its just my car .

manuel boost cotroller goes inline with the actuator on the turbo waste gate.

I used a bypass valve because it was recomeneded by others on the board over a blow off valve.

boost on

when you release the throttle they dump excess boost pressure. the turbo is still pumping air even when you close the throttle causing some stress on the turbo and throttle plate. there is a diaphram to minimize this efect from the factory.

BOV dumps to the atmosphere ( the ecu thinks it burned that air)

bypass dumps into the intake side of the turbo creating a loop to let the turbo keep spinning.

BOV is the high HP solution but the others work too.

mitch the intercooler is Off a 1.8t jetta as well as the bypass valve. the valve makes a bit of noise when it starts to dump. I call it the hooter valve:D . its starting to bug me a bit. odd comp from the old site had pics of my set up posted but I dont have the contact info any more. WRX intercoolers fit well too and they have a real nice stock bypass valve.

pleiades interesting thought on the boost trickery. I am not sure how it would work on our subes though. they think differantly than a mazda system. you still would have to work out a fuel enrichment plan.

I have a complete stand alone fuel system that I just removed from my truck. something like that would be the best way to go.

Out of curiosity where did u find the jetta intercooler? Junk yard or bought brand new. I want to fit an intercooler on my rx but im still trying to get as much info as i possibly can about fitting and plumbing before hand. Did u experience any issues with the intercooler? also is it top mount or front mount?

http://users.adelphia.net/~oddcomp/turboroo.htm

I was a VW guy from the very start. so when my VW buddy needed his new front mount intercooler installed I got his old parts:banana: yeah I will work for just about anything.

ok issues are, it sits really high requiring a custom made fiberglass hood scoop. if you decide to go this way I can make a mold of my current scoop and form a new one for a small fee.

hood scoop is NOT centered. that bothers some people.

plumbing was not horibly dificult but I keep telling myself that I will weld up a nice replacement for that home depot special on top of the throttle body. the one from the turbo up had to reduce and offset in a verry short space. a little tricky to make. and yeah the bypass valve is plumbed a little cheesy for my taste.

I have a ford probe intercooler too but It would need to be modified a little to work properly. FS cheap:brow:

Originally posted by xforxlifex

Interesting, have u tried this?

mike

No I just found it by doing a search on this message board. ;) lol.....

When I saw this thread I knew I had seen something about this before. It was subarutex who originally posted a link to it. Here's the thread:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6093&highlight=13psi

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so with the bypass valve, the released air would be sent back into the intake. but would it be into the intake before or after the MAF. If after, would that let you boost higher than 9 psi. without hitting the fuel cut off? just a thought.

huh?

no

it plumbs in after MAF