Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rwd Conversion?

Cheers, And enjoy the grease... :lol:

(oh, and I haven't done a RWD conversion yet, so everything I say may not be true or work ;):rolleyes:)

nice disclaimer. you spoke what you knew, and then made abundantly clear that it was all hearsay as far as you were concerned, but still SHOULD work.

this forum rocks:headbang:

question tho.. what rating is the rear diff on these cars? r160, 180, or 200???

because an r180 rear diff should be indestructible by one of thse ea82s.. probly even a stock ea82t... so is the issue in the transmission gearbox? sorry, with all the different "gearboxes" being referred to i wasnt too clear on what the weak part of the driveline is when in rear wheel instead of four or front wheel drive.... or why an LSD would make that issue more critical

The "weak part" is in the gearbox/transmission, it is the 4WD selecting gear. But still I have not heard of anyone breaking this. So I don't think there is any issues. As for the LSD breaking things, this is because it creates more strain in the gearbox, because basiclly the LSD "locks" the rear wheels together. You may kinda get the same stain as being in 4WD, only not as bad. I would think it would be no problem, but needs testing. Also the low range gear might not be up to RWD driven hard.

I am guessing if you play around, doing burnouts and drifting then you will cause more problems then normal driving... But this is the fact with any car. My advise would be, play it safe, expect to break things. (get a parts car! they're heaps good!)

I am pretty sure there isn't much difference in strength between the 5sp and 4sp D/R MT's from the EA series. So either can be used with no problem to my knowledge.

I have a feeling it's a r180, but may be a r160 I don't remember, I saw something about it in another thread here. I'd say use the search, but I bet you wouldn't find it as the search only really works well on the title and I think the topic went a bit "off-topic"

No problem at all, this is what this forum is for after all :)

Enjoy your modding. :burnout:

johnpic7.jpg

Video.

Sorry didn't want to take this thread the wrong direction.

I believe he did weld the center diff, is it possible to switch out this diff to an unwelded one? It's just an idea, I really like the RWD but would love to take this car into a few more, lets say "less paved" roads.

Lol... is that thing on stock wheels and tires?? A engine that puts out enough power for an AWD on 215mm+ wide tires in a RWD with skinnies on.. :lol:

• 8 years later...