Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping an EA82 for an EA82T??

I've got an '89 DL EA82 5 spd wagon with the engine going out and a '90 Loyale with a good EA82T (automatic) in it and I'm thinking about swapping the turbo engine into the '89. Is it a pretty straightforward swap? Is the 82T the same as the 82 except for the turbo? Thanks.

About 100x easier to just swap the trans into the loyale.

GD

The point is that the body of the '89 GL is in much better condition with very little rust, original paint, and no dents. The Loyale, well, has plenty of rust, is 3 or 4 different colors, and bears the scars of a collision with a $95K Porsche 996 targa turbo. (now THAT's another story... suffice it to say that I drove home, the Porsche didn't.)

If you are good with wireing it can be done, but as has been pointed out, it's a nasty mess of a harness, and it will be complicated by the fact that you will have to remove the SPFI portion of the DL/GL, the MPFI portion of the Loyale, and put the vehicle's harness back together using the MPFI computer control system. Plan out a couple weeks for that disaster. You'll have to change the fuel pump, entire exhaust system, engine cross-member (which includes removing and replacing the steering rack), as well as various other bits and chunks under the hood. No small peice of work.... with that much work to be done, it would be both easier, and much more powerful to do an EJ22 swap (135 HP, more reliable). It's actually less work as you still have the wireing and to a lesser extent the exhaust, but the engine cross-member doesn't have the be changed so no mucking with the rack or suspension parts.

GD

.....bears the scars of a collision with a $95K Porsche 996 targa turbo. (now THAT's another story... suffice it to say that I drove home, the Porsche didn't.)

I like that.... and id love to hear the tale. If you have time in the near future, a public post, or a private message about that would be appreciated :grin:

i just mentioned earlier today on another thread an enmity i have for porsches.. so its interesting that the comment came up just now.

Well, it was about three years ago so the details are getting hazy, but it was night and I was leaving a parking lot of a business trying to turn left across a six-lane street to go north on that street. The Porsche was proceeding south and was stopped at an intersection about half a block away. The light hadn't changed yet and I thought I had plenty of time to make my turn, so I went. I guess the light changed right then, the guy in the Porsche floored it, (0-60 in 3.6 seconds!) and we met in the middle of the street. He actually hit the left front corner of my car trying to go around me in the lanes of oncoming traffic(!) The collision peeled my bumper forward and broke my corner light, but caused at least $10K of all-over damage to his nearly-new 2003 911 turbo targa with only 6000 miles. Of course I got the ticket for 'failure to yield to oncoming traffic' or something. The Porsche owner was surprisingly cool about the whole thing, but did happen to point out that his car was worth $95,000. I didn't think it was a good time to bring up the commonalities between my boxer-engined turbo AWD Loyale wagon (that cost me $100 at a charity auction) and his brand-new Porsche. After it was all over, I got back in my battered Loyale and drove 15 miles home, while the Porsche was towed to a body shop.

I was ready to fight the ticket in court-- had witnesses and everything, but it ended up being dismissed on a technicality and does not appear on my record. My insurance company settled with the Porsche owner, and I (tried to) put it all behind me.