Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forged Rods & Pistons

I have done a lot of reviewing the archives and there have been some serious EA-82T's built. My question is at what point do forged rods and pistons become necessary? My engine will see at least 10 minutes at 4700 RPM and have to cruise at 4000-4200 RPM for extended periods. TDO4 with intercooler will be installed but boost will be kept to "normal" levels. Really not trying to make more than 105 HP but am a little concerned about the RPM for extended periods.

Thanks in advance,

Stepheh

Oh No. Are you having an American automobile owner relapse? Just the aluminum heads were made under 6 tons of pressure (If I'm not mistaken American cast iron didn't even go that far). I have had some crazy runs in old subes -- and not once have I encountered a catastrophe. Your build sounds disciplined enough as well. I did find a place on the web for EA81 and EA82 forged stuff, very expensive. I personally have gone to rpms "not likely" in just an n/a. My doubts are gone. Mistakes with your build snapping something is a mechanics prob no doubt.I was a v8 breaking fan for several years and *sighed* relief at this 3 main bearinged wonder called the "EA82".Exceeding oem numbers for performance is all over this board. Below is an interesting site:

http://ramengines.com/_wsn/page3.html

ram engines is the way to go for engine internals. they are great guys and know their stuff. there's an XT6 running around with those forged pistons in it and he likes them. whether it's necessary or not i have no idea. probably not on stock boost. you'll have temp problems before anything is my guess. make sure the radiator and cooling system is pristine. forged water pump maybe....

Short stroke = happy RPMS :)

Should be no problems running the stock engine at 7500-8000rpms... except stock valve springs probably float before then.

As other have typed, the cooling system is the important piece here. Also oiling, as I suspect that some of the "boredom of the rod" incidents that I have seen was a seizing rod bearing and a high-angularity rod... SNAP!